dont u think breast feeding a child till five is a bit much??

my aunt breast fed her daughter till she was 5. its a bit disturbing imo. my little cousin would come home from school and run to her mom for milk what gives??

maya123

Asked by maya123 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ehh, that's a little disturbing in my opinion. I could not imagine breastfeeding my 5 year old. I don't see how it could possibly benefit the child. At that age it's the mother's issue on not being able to let go.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• It is a personal choice. It truly isn't our business how long a mother chooses to breastfeed.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I just looked at my 5 year old and I could not imagine breast feeding him. He is SO tall and independent. He just lost his first tooth, I personally could not/would not do it.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• BF until 5 is completely unnecessary IMO. I think a parent does it for THEM, not the kid. JMO though.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I can see maybe pumping and giving it in a cup. But breatfeeding after 1 or 2 is weird to me.

Answer by louise2 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• This is a decision between mother and child. We have no lines in their play.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'll reply before I read any other answers. I have no problem with this. It's up to a mother and child how long they nurse for. As long as mother and child both still wish to continue, I'm fine with it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• To the poster who said that they should be drinking out of a cup, just so you know, toddlers and older children who nurse, DO drink from a cup and also eat regular food, the nursing is just in addition to that. And to the poster whose pedi said it's no longer beneficial after a year or so, your pedi is incorrect. Breast milk is always beneficial. It never loses nutritional value, although there DOES come a time where it's no longer enough to completely sustain a child.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• each parent is different...I am all about breast feeding your child for a lengthy period of time but even I would raise a brow at 5. If you can tie your own shoes it might be ok to let go of the boob. lol
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 4:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I don't have a HUGE issue with it at that age, but I think when they start school it's beyond time to stop!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2010