What to do?

I have a girl friend who has a 1 year old and he has a rare disease called Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis, the drs have said that his bone marrow is good, but when I was reading up on it, I read that a bone marrow transplant is the only hope for a cure. I know I should probably ask a dr, but cannot get in touch with one, so I'm asking here. Is it possible for a person to have this disease, but their marrow is healthy? Should I suggest to my friend that she push at the drs for the marrow transplant? Right now, her son is on steroids, antibiotics and a ventilator. He's been tested a lot, bone marrow, blood, the works. My friend and her husband did not save any cord blood or cells, and this little boy's blood-type is A+. Any suggetions?

RhodaD10

Asked by RhodaD10 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is the doctor in "charge" of treatment protocols for HLH in this country: Lisa.Filipovich@cchmc.org. She is at Cincinatti Children's Hospital which is the place with the clinical expertise for this disease in the US. She may already be familiar with your friend's son. There is an accepted treatment protocol that may result in bone marrow transplant. Perhaps she will answer an email about this situation. I would suggest having a parent ask her. My prayers are with your friend's LO. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• i agree with emailing the women from cincinatti (cincy). I use to live in ohio and that is the best hospital in my opinion. deff email her.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 5:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2010