My neighbor's dog barks ALL DAY...alone in the yard just yapping away. What can I do?

I knocked on the door a couple of times -- no answer. The poor thing is probably lonesome. Is there anything that can be done?

ss_mom

Asked by ss_mom at 5:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Pets

• I live on base. I followed the rules and went and spoke with the neighbor about the dog, who was still barking outside when the owner opened the door! I am instructed now, by housing, to contact the local Humane Society/Animal Control, and they will send an officer out to file a report and then go and talk to the pet owner.
    smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 5:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• In some areas, there is a noise ordinance, call your local police station and ask.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 5:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Does the dog have food, water and adequate shelter? If so, I don't think they will do much about it. If it doesn't have access to this, you can call report it. While your neighbors are not at home, write a note and tape it to their front door. Tell them that you and the other neighbors are not appreciative of their dog barking all day long while they are not home.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would call either the police department or the humain society and see what the noise ordinances and laws are in your city. There are usually laws about the noise and being respectful of your neighbors. They would probably give them a warning first and it could result in fines if they dont take care of it.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 5:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Go to city hall and obtain a copy of the noise ordinance. Go from there by contacting your neighbor.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 5:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• PS. NEVER LEAVE A NOTE! No matter what, it wont come off sounding as nice as you could sound in person and they could try and use that against you by telling the cops you are just harassing them!
    smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 5:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• There IS food and water left regularly (I can see from my upstairs window). Just no attention. I think she (the dog) was a Christmas gift for the kids, that they soon lost interest in. It's a Dalmatian. Not very friendly, but not very loved.

I hadn't thought about the Humane Society. I'm not really comfortable calling the Police at this point, but the Humane Society I could do.

Thank You All. :-)
    ss_mom

Comment by ss_mom (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• There is a noise ordinance in most towns. Call the police and ask what can be done.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• You poor thing. I would try talking to the neighbor again before calling the authorities-after all, you need to live next to him
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 12:50 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Keep trying to talk to them or leave a "nice" note if no change shortly after call your local dog warden/animal control.G/L we had the same situation with our old neighbors
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010