Ho effective is Melantonin for a 5 year old who's active during the day but fights to go to sleep at night and how can I wean him off the Adderall because I don't want my son on dope,thank you so much on that tip about Adderall bad drug for my 5 year old son?

mommys1luv

Asked by mommys1luv at 5:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you need to discuss this with your childs pediatrician. Tell them you want him off the meds and would like to try melatonin. They should be able to tell you the safest way to do this and the correct dosages.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 5:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Melatonin is a hormone, I wouldn't take it, nor would I give it to a child. There are other safe sleep aids as well as nerve tonics such as passionflower, chamomile, skullcap, valerian, hops. Chamomile & Passionflower are the mildest, you might those during the day, you can buy them in pills or tinctures. Don't expect your medical Dr. to know diddly squat about herbs or supplements, they will always push drugs instead. Research this stuff on your own or try a naturopath...?
    There are dietary measures you can take as well, such as skipping white sugar, starches.. and incorporating foods into his diet that are calming for the nerves such as celery, almonds, bananas...
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 7:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I agree that you should look at diet modification and talk with your pediatrician.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't rely on CM as my source for information for any medications or supplements I give my child. I would do my own research and talk to my doctor. If you trust strangers online more than the doctor, get a new doctor.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 11:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Nothing wrong with recommending that a mum ask her ped if an otc is safe, but there is a nicer way to say that.

That said, my ped has recommended melatonin to one of my friends for her DD. (age 4.) Its preferred to use it for a week or two while establishing a consistent night time routine, gradually weaning off, but keeping the routine in place.

hope this helps. Your ped may have more info. Good luck! :o)
    Sarahsdawn

Answer by Sarahsdawn at 12:26 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I didn't intend to say it in a mean way. I see tons of misinformation about all kinds of things all over this site. I very sincerely meant that if she doesn't trust her doctor she should find one that she has more faith in.  If she thinks her pediatrician put her kid on dope based on what CM moms say it's an issue.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 4:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2010