how to handle the holidays after a loss of a family member?

my grandfather passed in may after a year long battle with pancreatic cancer. He is the first person who has passed in our family that i was close with. i want to honor him and remember him during the holidays other than donating money in his name.

TinaFabulous

Asked by TinaFabulous at 5:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Holidays

• Light a candle and put it in the window in his memory. Say a few special words about him and if you're religious maybe some special quotes from the bible. Then before dinner say a few special words, whether a prayer or otherwise, just to bring his spirit in with the family during the Holidays.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I tell ya it never gets any easier my MIL, FIL, BIL & SIL all have died in the last 4 years.I would make something in his honor what did he like? Maybe a plaster headstone for the garden or make something he loved to eat and have that at every dinner say a few kind words before you eat in his honor
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My mom died in June "09 to cancer. She loved her back yard, all her trees and plants. I planted a tree to remember her. Everytime I see it I think of her. In my case it gets "easier" but it never goes away.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• This will be our first holidays with out my mom. She passed away in May. My sisters and I are going to keep our traditions but we know it will be hard for us. We lost our dad over 30 years ago so we've been through this before but this time is harder, I think, because both of our parents are now gone. So I figure there are bound to be both tears and laughter. It's like you don't want to dwell on the sadness but you can't ignore the feeling of missing someone either. So for all of us who will be missing someone this year, my heart and prayers are with you all!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• There's some pretty awesome ornaments to honor those who have passed away, and I think it would be great to get one in his honor, that you place on your tree every year. That way, every year as you are decorating your tree, you will take a moment to think back on him and your times together. These ones are really nice:

http://www.giftsforyounow.com/Personalized-Memorial-and-Sympathy-Gifts_165.aspx

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:28 AM on Nov. 22, 2010