question about babies and honey

My daughter is 13 months old. Is she allowed to have honey yet? I am cooking up a dish tonight that has honey as one of the ingredients and I wasn't sure if she was allowed to have it.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Technically not till 2.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would hold off until at least 2. It's really not worth the risk IMO.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I was told not until 2 as well. HOWEVER, that's only a precaution. You can test some out with her before dinner and if she has no reactions then she should be fine.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Only children under one can not have honey,. she can have it
    mbrown215

Answer by mbrown215 at 5:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Honey cannot be processed therefore all the bad bacteria cannot be removed. Doctors recommend that children dont have it until they are at least 2 if not even later. BUT, there is a good replacement! It is called agave nectar and it is just like honey in consistency and taste but is made from fruit. Very good for you and great as a replacement for most sugars. My husbands doctors recommended it when we found out he was showing early sign of being diabetic :)
    The golden kind is delicious, I have not tried the amber kind.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 5:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would not give it to her the age is 18months -2 years old... honey is a GREAT pro biotic but WAY WAY too strong for a 13 month old-- she could get botulism from it and a few other things too
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 5:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• we started honey at 10 months.. our dr said after 1year old it was ok.... but his great papaw didnt get the memo.... all was fine.. espically if your cooking it
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 5:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• How much is in the dish? If it's a small amount Im sure she would be fine. If you are 2nd guessing yourself then make her something else.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I've always heard and recommended a year old. But I believe if it's cooked, it's no longer a risk to children under one year (might want to double check me on that though, not entirely sure.)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• When did it change to two? Everything I've ever known says wait until a year old.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2010