pain free childbirth in the bible???

i'm in the middle of a discussion with someone about the fact of having a pain-free child birth is in the bible. i'm saying it's not and they are saying it is. maybe i have the wrong kind of bible but no where have i ever seen anything but suffering during child birth in the bible.

i'm not talking about if people today believe women should suffer or have pain during birth. but back when the bible was written. the churches believed that if a woman had a pain-free birth she was considered a witch and satan worshiper.

so can someone people if i'm wrong tell me where in the bible does it talk about child birth being pain free? (side-note: no i do not believe all women will have pain in birth if they listen to their bodies, and i don't believe any god would want a woman to suffer in pain)

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 6:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I cannot think of nor find a single biblical example of pain free child birth. I am sure it was then like it is today, every woman's experience is different.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I think that was one of the things Eve ruined for us....LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I've read the bible 6 times, cover to cover... It's not in any version I have ever read...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• i'm not talking about if people today believe women should suffer or have pain during birth. but back when the bible was written. the churches believed that if a woman had a pain-free birth she was considered a witch and satan worshiper

Hmm, I had a VBAC without any painkillers. It wasn't the most pain I've ever endured by far but it was the most amazing experience in my life. And I'm Pagan....so could they be on to something? :)

As to pain in childbirth, biblical - it's part of the curse that particulate God put on Eve for eating the forbidden fruit.

Genesis 3:16 (King James Version)
    16Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 7:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• i cannot tell you for sure because i have not read the bible but i have heard that before eve "messed" up everything it was supposed to be pain free but that god punished her and the rest of us for her biting the apple and decided we should feel pain during childbirth
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 6:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• shaneagle777

i did ask her.... she said she thought it was in genesis or exodus. but she didn't know the exact spot which is why i asked here. if it is or is not there and where it is if it's in the bible.

both of which i have read and have not read anything about pain free birth in either.
    oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Had man not sinned in the garden then child birth would have been pain free. Pain and "travail" in child birth is the curse put upon eve for disobeying God.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I listened to my body during childbirth with no painkillers, and it said AAAAARRRRGGGHHH PAIN PAINPAIN PAIN PAIN, HEEEEELP!!!11! MAKE IT STOOOPPPPPP!
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 2:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Before Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit, childbirth was indeed painless. That was the natural state of it, they way it's supposed to be. The consequence for Eve's transgression was to experience pain in childbirth. However, it's a curse, it's not a commandment. It's perfectly acceptable to ease the pain of childbirth with epidurals.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:15 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I didn't have an Epi with the birth of any of my 3 kids, but I DID have other pain meds just to take the edge off. I was too chicken!! lol But I believe that God came in the form of Jesus in the NT and eradicated most of the LAWS of the OT with His sinless life and death on the cross for our sins. He is not a heartless unloving God, after all!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 6:12 AM on Nov. 23, 2010