The Big One... Smoking

So I am 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I have had my 1st OB appointment and the doctor really didn't seem all that concerned about anything. She asked if I was smoking and I admitted that I was. But I have slowed down a lot. I have gone from 2 1/2 packs a day to 10 cigs a day. I hope that by the end of this week I can get down to no cigs though!
I'm just wondering why wouldn't she be concerned with the fact that I am still smoking? She told me why I should quit and everything but said that if I couldn't that there were specific things I would need to do when the baby got here.
Another question that I have is if you have been a smoker am I on a good track to quit? I can't quit cold turkey because of the stress I go through. I know a while ago I came across an article that said that 3 cigs a day won't really effect the baby is that true?
I'm confused about this whole smoking thing and I will quit I just need some support and advice. Thanks and please don't judge. I have given up a lot of cigs and I am proud of myself for giving up that many. Because that is a little more than 2 packs I have already given up in like 2 weeks or so.

lc20101782

Asked by lc20101782 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You need to quit smoking, period. Ask your doc the safest and quickest way how. Smoking during pregnancy will result in a low birthweight baby, among other things.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I know that and I think that it's clear that I'm working towards it. Another OB told me that it would be best if I slowed down which I have clearly done with giving up 52 cigs a day. I don't want to be rude but I wasn't asking if I should quit smoking. I was asking for help to know that I am doing it the right way. That's all.
    lc20101782

Comment by lc20101782 (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Cutting down is definitely progress and it's better than continuing on the way you were. Kudos =) I was a smoker too, I know how f'n rough it is to give up, especially during times of stress (that's when I think about them). Just keep gradually cutting back till you're done with them. Good luck!!!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I think your doing a great job..it's hard to do..especially for someone who smokes as much as you do. I think cutting yourself back week by week is a good way to go about it. I was told by my doc that 5 cigs a day really won't hurt much but it is still strongly recommended to quit. Your doctor probably didn't seem concerned because he/she knows that you cannot be forced to do anything and once you leave that office your a free woman. All he/she can do is encourage you to quit. But to answer your question.. congrats.. your doing awesome. Keep it up!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I am going to talk to you straight here.

10 or less ciggs when pregnant is fine.

And you are right, the stress of quitting entirely (when addicted) outweighs the risk of the few ciggs.

Feel free to PM me for more infor/support.

Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 6:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• A few cigs dosen't hurt . Some people say it wil result in low birth weight, I smoked while pregnant, not very many but I did. My 1st daughter was 7"3 my twins were 6"1 and 5'15 pretty big for twins, and my last was 8"7. All very healthy babies
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 7:17 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Alright well this sucks, but your going to have to quit. It's really bad for the baby. She may not have been so concerned at the momment, but it's something she has to deal w/ every day. Believe me I've been in your shoes! I loved to smoke! Loved it! I know it stunk, it makes your house stink, it's bad for your health, but I loved it. I quit for my 1st pregnancy, then started back up after she was born. My hubby smokes so that didn't help matters. But he did get better, he quit doing it around me. I will tell you that even though I quit my daughter still has asthma, and it is hereditary. I know plenty of people who haven't quit, and they had all sorts of problems with their children's breathing. It's just something that you may feel guilty about later on, that you know you could have avoided. Good luck, and if you need a crabby witch session we're here on cafemom! lol!
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 7:23 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I smoked, but the 2nd I took that pregnancy test and it was positive, I never picked up another...You can do it. Its for the health of your child. Things are not about you anymore.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I know that it is good to smoke while pregnant. I smoked through out my entire pregnancy with our Daughter and She was almost a 9 pound baby. As long as you cut back and keep it down to a couple a day your baby is going to be just fine!!
    nat1387

Answer by nat1387 at 7:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I found out I was pregnant at 8 weeks. I had been a smoker for over ten years. But smoking after i knew i had a baby in my stomach just made me feel so guilty. What if he was born with asthma or other problems i would always feel like it was my fault. The fact is most likely your baby will be fine if you continue to smoke at the rate you are, but what if he's not. Can you live with yourself knowing that you might have caused a problem that you could've avoided. Quitting smoking is very hard and you will always think about them. It is possible, you just have to try hard and keep at it. Good luck.
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 8:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2010