Stuffy Newbon, What to Do

My 3 week old has a very stuffy nose. I'm using saline drops and a humidifier, but the poor girl is still so stuffy. Any suggestions?

Also, when do babies start breathing through their mouths? Thanks!

SMH2010

Asked by SMH2010 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep sucking it out. At that age, nothing OTC is safe.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• if you are breastfeeding, a couple drops in each nostril is better than saline. sucking too often will inflame her passages, making her seem stuffier. keep her propped up. if you get worried call a doc or nurse.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 6:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• This may sound gross, but sometimes I just gently massage my baby's nose to loosen the stuffiness up, then I take a moist cloth and work some of the boogies out. I always feel awful when she's having a hard time breathing comfortably. Other than that I use the nasal aspirator, which we lovingly call the "booger eater".
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My DD is 2 1/2 months and has the same problem, she is always gagging on the nasal drip too. Our pediatrician said jus to do saline, the aspirator is not recommended at this age. Unfortunately this has been going on for a while and she is mostly a co-sleeper so we can keep her elevated or she would never get any sleep.

andria82

Answer by andria82 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Do the nasal, little noses drops and suck that stuff out with the nose pump thing, it will get better!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2010