Tips for potty training a 2 1/2 year old...

I think she is ready, she tells me when she is "stinky" and she understands the concept.
But she won't tell me when she needs to go, so we are having little success....

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 7:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think she is ready to start you just have to make sure you are ready. When my kids where this age we did the following. First I took them shopping for new underwear and stickers. Then I out a calendar up in the bathroom. Everytime they went potty we would put a sticker on the calendar. After "X" amount of stickers they would get a special treat, like going out for ice cream or having their favorite dinner. You have to keep in mind that you have to stay on top of this. You have to ask her to go potty or say "okay lets try to go potty." Also try taking her at the same time or close to the same time everyday.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Google "toilet training readiness" and you will see some good links to check out. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'd start, My l/o tugs when she has to go pee. We have problems when it's poopy time, but it will come w/ time. Also make sure your ready too, because once you start going back can only set them back in progress.
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 7:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• We started by having them sit on the potty every hour. At this age I think it is still hard for them to realize when they have to go, but once my older daughter did it for a while with us making her we started putting her in big girl underwear and after a few accidents she was done for daytime.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2010