I witnessed a military procession for a fallen serviceman today.

DH and I were driving through Thomasville, GA and noticed the sidewalks lined with people with American Flags. This continued through town and into the country (driveways and yards and side roads). After a bit we found out it was for a procession for a serviceman who was killed in action in Afghanistan. His body was being escorted from Tallahassee, FL to Thomasville, GA. Law enforcement and the Patriot Guard were also involved in the escort. It brought tears to mine and my DH's eyes and we didn't speak for about 10 miles after the procession passed by us. Thank you to the families and all the servicemen that are and have served our country. We all should say a prayer for them as we celebrate our Thanksgiving meal this week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Agreed.  God bless and keep our soldiers and servicemen.

MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My son, who has served 2 tours in Iraq, volunteers his time in the Air Force, to be an Honor Guard..He says its the saddest expierence he's ever had but the most honorable. He is 24! My prayers go out to all the men/women in the service and they're families! I'm retired Army and I too have shed many tears at Military funerals!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 7:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• So well said. Thank you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Thank you to all current and former service persons and their families-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• As a veteran, I thank YOU for supporting us. We may not always agree with our orders, but we still fight for our country and freedoms we have. I give a huge thank you to the veterans who've gone before me who made it possible for us to be where we are today.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My husband is a 100% Disabled vet who ecently hooked up with an organization called Warrior Watch and they take part in these precessional when the fallen soldiers come home. He has already done one for a fallen soldier and I had to pleasure of riding with him for welcome home for a soldier. It was great! We actually met him at his house and escorted him to a party that his family was throwing for him to welcome him home. 30 bikes - 5 decorated with flags. Police cars escorting it was just a wonderful experience I can't wait to do it again. On Thanksgiving we are going to meet soldiers from Ft. Dix who won't be home for the holiday they are taking them to a big thanksgiving dinner.  My DH will be escorting on the bike and me, my boys and the in-laws will be waving flags as they arrive at the hotel.

christinato

Answer by christinato at 9:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• So sad! May he rest in peace.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Those are truly the saddest. I've been to a couple of military funerals and they sad and impressive at the same time. My husband is part of the Great Lakes funeral detail. He hands the flag to the family, gun salutes, etc. Every one he attends affects him.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• veterans day

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Aside from being away from us, I think the hardest part of being in Afghanistan was the ceremonies to put the bodies on the plane. My hubby had a hard time with that. He still does, actually.

I remember going to the funeral of a friend of my dads. He was a retired SF guy. We were at the cemetery here at Bragg, and I was fine until they played Taps, and then the 21 gun salute. Anywho, tomorrow I need to call and sign up for Care Team training.

It's always great to hear people say 'Thank you', even to military spouses. I just don't know how to take it. So, 'Thank You' for supporting the military!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2010