real Christmas tree

I have never had a real tree but this year my four yr old son is asking for one, when do I put it up? And how long do they last? I guee that there has to be a first for everything.

logansmom6106

Asked by logansmom6106 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Holidays

• The only way I would ever agree to a real tree would be if I could get a small potted one... I can't see a reason to kill a tree just for Christmas... Plus, that way you get to go plant a tree together in the spring...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:20 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Are they hard to find?
    logansmom6106

Comment by logansmom6106 (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• We always go to the Christmas Tree farm the day after Christmas and they last all the way through New Years as long as you keep them watered. We will water ours in the morning and in the evening everyday. Good Luck! You will really enjoy the smell.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 8:35 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Actually Christmas tree farms don't do any damage to the environment as far as cutting the trees down for decoration. For every tree cut, there is 2 or 3 more seeds planted. Christmas trees are grown in soil that would not support growth of other crops. They are not made with harmful chemicals. They are disposed of by chipping the wood and used in landscaping.

We cut our tree fresh from a tree farm the first weekend of December. By cutting it fresh, the needles will stay on the tree longer and most tree farms shake the tree for you to get rid of loose needles and critters that may be in the tree lol. Depending on where you live, you can pretty easily find a tree farm or at least a tree lot. Putting it up the first week in December is ok. If you buy it precut on a lot, you need to make a fresh cut on the base before you put it in the stand. Always keep fresh water in the stand too. and to make clean up easy,
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:12 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Buy a christmas tree disposal bag and place it under the stand when you set the tree up. When it's time to take the tree down, simply pull the bag up around the tree, stand and all, and take it outside to remove the stand. That way you don't have the needles all over your floor :)

We love real trees, we get them every year. My kids have sensitive respiratory systems and skin conditions like eczema, so I choose not to expose them to all the chemicals in the artificial trees. Plus we LOVE the smell of real :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:14 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:17 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• we always get a real tree, abotu 8 feet...lol But we pick ours up on Dec. 6th, Trees for troops ( free trees for military families) and it lasts until christmas!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2010