My 3 yr. old loves baby food, french fries, McDonalds nuggets, sausage,waffles, and chips. That is all she will even try to eat. She will sit looking at her plate for hours and not touch it. She won't let us feed her. You put baby food in front of her she eats it all. What can we do? Should we keep feeding baby food? She has gone to bed hungry 4 nights now.

We have tried making nuggets and the frozen kind. She won't touch them. We put in front of her the food that we are eating. She won't touch it. She won't eat mac & cheese. She only drinks water, OJ in the morning, and koolaid. No snacks at all. We have tried a variety. I've raised 5 kids and never had this problem.

dvrslim

Asked by dvrslim at 7:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Quit giving her the crap foods first of all. Secondly, does she have a lot of snacks or drinks all day? Cut down on that stuff unless it's milk or water.

Second...give her a variety. She has to try SOMEthing. Dinner with different meats, veggies, etc. Smoothies maybe? Yogurts. Soups.

If you need to maybe try things with hidden veggies and stuff. Maybe things like mac and cheese with pureed veggies in it. Spaghetti sauce with veggies mushed into the sauce.
    Anonymous

• Offer her what you are having for meals. Don't let her snack too close to dinner time. Give only healthy snacks. Stop the baby food. One mom on here mentioned her kids were always allowed to have a banana, at least, but she did not make separate meals for them.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• She only drinks water, OJ in the morning, and koolaid. No snacks at all. We have tried a variety. She won't touch mac & cheese or spagetti sauce.
    dvrslim

Comment by dvrslim (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Put the baby food into a bowl, and get her used to eating out of a bowl, then switch it to yogurt, apple sauce, jello. Different foods she hasn't tried yet. Puree things like pasta and sauce together, add a dash of sugar if you want to sweeten it for her. Get her used to a variety. My little man was stuck on certain foods for a while. If you don't give them anything to eat for a day, they'll get hungry and eat whatever you put in front of them. Seems cruel, but depriving them of proper nutrition is cruel too. What worked for us was having someone else feed the new foods. My SIL fed my son a tuna sandwich, and he loved it. (I had tried the same thing and he wouldn't touch it. ) Apples, peeled and sliced, were another favorite when he was starting on solids. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• She is in a bad habit but it's not too late to change it up. Do not have things like that in your house. If you are going to cook chicken nuggets, in the time it takes to put the premade ones in the oven, you can cube a chicken breast and coat it with seasoned Panko breadcrumbs. Smoothies and hiding pureed vegetables in sauces also will help. Find a recipe for pancakes and waffles and use the real syrup or other toppings instead of the flavored brown corn syrup. French fries? Thinly slice some potatoes, season them and bake.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• First let me tell you kids won't starve themselves so she is getting food. Also at this age kids cannot control a lot so they control what they can & food is one thing they can control. Don't feed her because she is just going to fight you. If she likes baby food try giving her that same food, although not in baby form. For example if she likes peas have her try real peas. In my house we had a trying plate, we would put different foods on it and then hav ethe kids try them. Also try making things like smoothies. You can add lots of different fruits and yogurts and the kids love them.

If you become really concerned I would talk to the DR. I remember when my son was this age he only like pizza and Mac & Cheese. NOw he is 13 and loves all kinds of food.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I don't know some of these answers seem a little harsh.

My son who is now 16 years old 6'2 180 pounds when through this stage a about the same age.  He ate Gerber cereal for breakfast, grill cheese for lunch and chicken nuggets and FF for dinner every day.  We offered other food but he usually didn't eat it.  The doctor said give him what he wants he is eating and eventually he will get sick of it and expand his foods and he did.  It went on for about 9 months.

As far as your Chicken nugget delemia. Keep the nugget box and refilll it with frozen nuggets hand it to her in the McDonalds box. 

She won't starve Mommy and at least she is eating....

christinato

Answer by christinato at 8:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Kids that age have a limited diet. You can continue what u r doing and see if it works or give her what she wants. It depends on your convictions. Good luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• yep i have to agree let the child eat what she wants all doctors will say that.. you have other kids so you know whats best anyways!!!!!!!
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 10:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would stop the baby food and start with things like yogurt and start introducing things that are a little thicker and new textures. Dont let her snack or drink any thing but a little water like a hour or an hour and a half before you would like to eat.
    3joysolife

Answer by 3joysolife at 10:17 PM on Nov. 21, 2010