HELP! Need help with dinner ASAP!

So I bought a bean soup mix yesterday for dinner tonight. It says soak overnight or 6-8 hours. I started soaking them yesterday afternoon, and basically they soaked 24 hours before I put them into the boiling hot water and then switched the heat to simmer. It said cook 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I just checked them - 1/2 before we are supposed to eat - and they aren't even CLOSE to being mushy enough. I turned up the heat to medium. Should I turn it to high? Will this even help? Is there anything else I can do? THANKS!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• When I make bean soup I don't soak them I boil the beans in water on high and they are mushy in an Hour or two depending on the type of beans.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Cover them as they cook.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Ah, they were covered. I'll just turn up the heat and hope for the best I guess.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• How old were the bean? Did you add salt or acid (like tomatoes) to the pot?

Age, salt and acids will all prevent the beans from cooking properly

Answer by rkoloms at 8:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• No, it was just the beans and water. ..I bought the beans at the store. I don't know how old they were there, but I trust the store enough to rotate reasonably and just got them there yesterday. There was a seasoning packet, but wasn't supposed to add that (and didn't) till 30 mins before they were done.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I checked the exp date on the bag - May 2011
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2010