Does your husband help with housework? or is it strictly a womans duty? adult content

My daughter is 7 months old, I'm a SAHM and hubby works 40 h week.
She is really clingy and gets really upset if left alone(some days I dont get a shower). So I dont get a lot of cleaning done during the day. BUT I always have a well balanced meal ready when he comes home or shortly after!
Now I've tried explaining to him that he needs to tend to our DD so that I can cleanup in the evening but he bitches that I shoulfd have had it done already! He wont even put his laundry away!
He won't hang out w her unless he is getting laid or someone is around that hes trying to look good in front of...
So what gives am I the only one being swallowed up by the housework bc hubby cant help me bc he makes ALL the money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• It is not helping, it is contributing to this family. I have a career as well as him. We both clean, laundry, and most days dinner is finished by 6 pm. I usually just throw something in the crock pot. We both own this house, we BOTH can clean and pick up after each other. I am no 1950's wife anwways and refuse to be. This marriage is a partnership.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My husband helps around the house. I have been a SAHM for 9 years and he still helps out. There are times when he is overwhelmed or doesn't feel like doing things. Also we have had a lot of time to work at and to talk about how things should are going to work. I think you need to talk with him about how you feel. I also think that you need to start putting your DD down a little. I know this is hard to do because when you put her down she cries and is unhappy. I had to learn to do things with my kids around even if they did start to cry just because they wanted to be held, I would put them in the Pack-n-Play with their toys. I would out them in the room I was cleaning and I would put music on. As I cleaned I would talk to them and they started to learn how to calm themselves down.

Good Luck with everything. AS she gets older it might get a little easier!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Nope, been there! My husband helps out but it is VERY seldom. Until recently he was the only one working as I was a SAHM, he considered the housework to be my job. Recently I returned to work with a 3 yr old at home and being 7 months pregnant so I suppose we shall see how this works out but I am almost sure nothing will change. So trust me hun I understand completely!
    ChristianJMommy

Answer by ChristianJMommy at 8:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• This is one of the main reasons I wanted to be a career woman instead of a SAHM. My husband and I both do the housework and the cooking and shopping, etc. If I were to become a SAHM, I would've sat down and discussed how this would work before it ever happened.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 8:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Why is it wrong to say both people can help clean the house?! What works for you might not work for another...
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My husband works 52+ hours a week and his mom and sister moved in with us because they just lost their house. I have to cook, clean, and do laundry for 5 people now. Everyone is too damn lazy to pick up their own crap and I cannot live in a pig sty. Ive talked to them several times and everyone just ignores me every time. I have a 2 and a half year old and I am pregnant again.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'm sorry PPL suck! I'm just exhausted I can't keep up with it anymore! My hubbys a packrat we dont have room 4 all the garbage... maybe if the babe slept through the night and in her own room id be more rested .
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My husband helps, especially when he sees that im really tired and still trying to do my norm. He gets up and start cleaning like he getting paid for it..lol! you know, he's trying to avoid the Lectures that we give when we are tired...
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My husband helps every now and then. I prefer to be the only one to clean since I'm so picky about it.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Till today, my husband helped with our 4 kids every evening. He transferred about 60 miles away so he is only home on weekends now. He will still help. We split up the housework on weekends and within two hours we are done.

A husband SHOULD help. My husband has never said anything about the house if it is messy or if all we have for supper is sandwiches.

I say tell your husband that he can start playing with his dd after supper or he won't get a hot meal or sex till your house is clean and you have showered. Put your foot down and till him he has to help. Or better yet leave him with the baby for just a few hours and he will see what you go through.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 8:17 PM on Nov. 21, 2010