Has anyone had their toddler in the room when they delivered their second baby!?

How old was your toddler and how did it go having them in the room?

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think its a bad idea. The child is going to get really scared.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• No.....I think it would traumatize the child. My daughter was 3 and insisted in coming into the recovery area after I gave birth. She took one look at me and got upset. I just delivered a 9 lb 8 oz baby boy naturally and I was quite pale from bleeding and didn't look so hot. She started to cry. I would leave the toddler home until mommy looks good and is ready for visitors. Good luck.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 8:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• That thought didn't even cross my mind when I had my second. That is too much for a child.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• No not even a thought that would cross my mind..
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 8:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Ummm....I'm thinking it's not the right time and place for a toddler to meet their sibling, nor should the toddler see their mother in pain, pushing, grunting, or God forbid anything go wrong, be a witness to that. I'm more for having the toddler come visit when things have settled down and everybody looks happy, is smiling, and ready to give the toddler attention.

My toddler stayed home with family members, playing, napping, eating, and otherwise going about their day. They came to visit when the situation was stable and I knew the visit would be a positive one.
    Sonnut

Answer by Sonnut at 8:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yes! I did!!! It was an awesome experience, too! I would say that it depends on the kiddo, but Emily was awesome.

Want the full story? (Too bad, I'm chatty, haha.)
    This was in October of 2008, trying for a vbac, and 42 weeks pregnant!!! I had hubby with me, Emily was 3, and we also had our doula. my doula (holly) was awesome, and she and mike took turns playing with Emily, and assisting me in labor. I had about a 14 hour labor, but no epidural, and I would say that I had a pretty easy birth.
    She got to hold him minutes after he was born, and still talks about "when baby charlie was born and his head was red." lol.
    Different strokes for different folks, but birth is a natural thing, and if you think she/he will be fine, then most likely they will be. Just bring another adult or two to help, and lots of toys and snacks! :o)

Sarahsdawn

Answer by Sarahsdawn at 8:23 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'd love to hear from other mother's who actually have experience with this! (Birth story junky!)
    Sarahsdawn

Answer by Sarahsdawn at 9:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My daughter would have freaked out, my son would have wanted to leave to see the helicopter. It was not something I would do but I'm sure others on here will have some advice for you! =)
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yes~ she was 31 months.
    It was one of the best experiences of our lives, best thing EVER!!!
    :-D

I am so happy that she was so involved!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:08 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• no
    Bradswifey720

Answer by Bradswifey720 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 27, 2010