Little Girls And There Body Parts[[{{{answers plz}}]]

Im watching My Friends Daughter and she is 5 now, i have know this girl since the day she was born and her mom was a single mom for the first 2 years so im like mommy # two.. we basically share that same parenting skills and all that jazz and i treat he like my own daughter, but there is just this one thing that i cant stand about my friends parenting im not quit sure why.. but her daughter calls her vagina her butt! she doesnt know its called her vagina she calls her butt her butt and her vagina a butt! its soo annoying!! when i talk to my friend about it she doesnt even wanna talk about it! and acts like vagina is a bad word or something.. is this wrong?

SammiGirl07

Asked by SammiGirl07 at 8:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Not wrong but not very enlightened either.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 8:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• It's probably just less confusing to the child right now. We always just called it girly parts until they were old enough to actually know what it was all about. I still don't like the word vagina. It's just so weird. Why couldn't it have a different name.. like a flower name or something... LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would leave it alone.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Well, I wouldn't make an issue out of it. It is your friend's responsibility to teach her daughter the correct anatomical name for her vagina. I don't believe in calling private parts a weird name, like my mom called my vagina my "doo doo". Why I don't know. I think it's not healthy because the child perceives her private parts as something she should be embarrassed of. I taught my daughter that it was her vagina. Funny story...she called it her "bagina" . Either way, allow your friend to teach her daughter what it is called. Good luck.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 8:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I think you could talk to your friend and see why she doesn't like to talk about this or let her DD know what it is really called. I will tell you I personally believe that all kids should know what the correct names are. I have a friend who called her vagina a "dee dee" and when she was little a new girl moved in next door to her, the little girls name was "Deedee". So she thought this little girl had a name that was not very nice and could not understand why her parents would do that to her.

Other then that there really isn't anything you can do. She is not your child and so you can't really correct her unless you ask your friend first. If she doesn't want her to know then you have to let it go for now.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:20 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• well when she was climing on the bunk bed she slipped and smacker her vagina and was crying that her butt hurt i kept looking at her butt to see what was wrong and i couldnt find out... cause she was talking about her vagina it wouldnt bug me if she called it her girl spot or her flower.. hoo haa, but because she calls one body part the name of another is plan stupid to me.. its like calling it her elbow!! if she hurts her vagina and crys how her elbow hurts how wouldnt anyone know what the heck she is talking about!! and she is FIVE its about time.. u can tell her its her vagina.. and let her call it some nick name or something.. but she should know her body parts at age 5!
    SammiGirl07

Comment by SammiGirl07 (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• leave it alone its not your call to make
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Just correct her

Answer by admckenzie at 8:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• im not saying its my call.. im just saying i dont think its the smartest move, im not stupid i know there isn't much i can do.
    SammiGirl07

Comment by SammiGirl07 (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I know what you are talking about. dd is 3 and does the same exact thing but with correction she is referring to it correctly more and more often now but I guess they don't realize there are 2 separate body parts down there? Maybe if you tell the mom the story about her hurting her "butt" on the bunk bed and how you didn't know what was wrong, it will get the point across about the importance of calling things somewhat correctly. Her not teaching her daughter the right thing to say almost hindered your ability to find out what was wrong with her. What if she was at school or with someone who didn't know she calls them both her butt?
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010