Is it just me? (vent)

My husband and I were both sick the past couple days. I was still stuck with taking care of the kids. I was sick to. Is this fair? Am I the only one going through this? I know the kids still have to be taken care off. Just aggravated It was just me doing it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, it's not just you. My hubby's been sick for a few days now, and while he was sick, I took care of him, and our DS. Now, I'm coming down with what he had, but I won't get any special treatment, and I won't get a break from taking care of the DS to get some rest either. GL! Feel better soon!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Maybe you need to just not do it. Say what you expect. If you continue doing and not communicating the need for them to step up, you cannot complain. Well you can complain, but it is not going to change much. Tell them they need to do and take charge. women tend to just take care of things and not stop when they are sick or tired.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I totally understand! It was that way in our house too. DH died when he was sick, but I had to drag myself to take care of the kids. Really unfair. IMO
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• You both should take turns. My first husband, (ex) would never help me. I could be near death and he wouldn't lift a finger. My husband of 17 years is so different. If I'm sick he'll do everything and help with the children. I think you need to express your opinion to your husband and let him know how you feel. Good luck. PS men usually aren't the best patients when they are sick.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Oh thats always me. Even if my husband is NOT sick and I am...guess who gets the baby...not him.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• You're not alone or wrong for feeling this way. I've had to do the same thing. This is definitely an area I feel women are much stronger in. When my hubby is sick, he's a big baby and just wants to sleep. If I'm sick I want to sleep, but can't because I have to make sure that our son is taken care of. It's hard, but it makes me feel more accomplished in the end.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 8:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• No it is not just you. I have often said, "when a woman gets sick, a man lays down". Men don't think like women. Never understood this.
    SADIEBUGZMOM

Answer by SADIEBUGZMOM at 8:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would say my husband is a giant baby when he's sick, but my baby doesn't act like he does when she's sick. He's much worse. You'd think he had a fatal disease when he has a cold. However, if I have a cold, sometimes you wouldn't even know it. I just know that I have to suck it up and deal.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Oh yes, didn't you read the mommy directions??? we are not to get sick because things have to be done regardless!!!! Sometimes I felt the same when is someone going to take care of me? but men are such big babies when they get sick!

Answer by older at 8:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• It's pretty common, but I'm sure you could change it if you aren't ok with it. Personally, when it's just me who is sick, hubby steps up and takes care of EVERYTHING. If we're both sick, it's mostly me.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2010