Anemia is kicking my @$$! (grumble grumble)

I blame winter. I don't actually have scientific basis for this.

I'm taking double the daily dose of iron (floradix) and I *STILL* feel like a vampire has sucked half of the blood from my body.

FTR, I'm vegetarian, so the whole "eat more red meat" thing doesn't apply...I do get lots of greens and broccoli and other iron rich foods, not that it makes much of a difference anyways.

Anyone else have this? Its like a mosquito bite, its not super serious or anything, but its as annoying as crap.

Sarahsdawn

Asked by Sarahsdawn at 8:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Health

• I have problems maintaining my iron levels and have been anemic so I know the feeling! I am not a vegetarian. Do you eat fish or peanut butter? These are good sources of protein and iron as well. Stress makes anemia worse as it literally drains us of iron. Could be your also lacking in the B vitamins which help with iron enrichment. Talk to your doctor to be sure it's just anemia and not something more. Hope you feel better soon!!!!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Mine is so low my general practitioner has referred me to a hematologist. I have postponed my appointment until the new year. My deductible is $5000 so I want to have it in the new year. I have heard that the blood tests etc. can be very expensive. I have ordered iron capsules from vitalady.com in California. I am taking Poly-Iron 150mg., hoping that it brings my levels up by January. I take them with orange juice and vitamin C.
    I take calcium as well, but it is important to take them at a different time. I understand that calcium and iron inhibit the absorption of each other.
    I was thinking I was so tired all the time because of depression, but now I realize that some of it was because of anemia.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I love b vitamins...there's a good one that is a blend of like 6 different Bs, taken sublingualy. Actually, I ran out awhile ago and haven't picked more up. Hmmm.......

I don't go to the doctor unless I'm dying or birthing a kid or break a bone. So far only 2 of those have happened. lol. (I'm a health insurance-less loser.)

I generally don't eat fish...maybe once every other month. I'm not keen on peanut butter either. (It smells gross, but my kids love pb&j, go figure.)

I'm going to pick up some B vits tomorrow, that might actually help. (I hate the "ditzy/forgetfullness" side effect, too.)
    Sarahsdawn

Comment by Sarahsdawn (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Increase your vitamin B-12 intake, also your vitamin C which helps with iron absorbtion... I would also increase my spinach intake... I hope this helps!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 10:08 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I get lots of C, and lots of spinach, since I'm a vegetarian. I think the problem was one of the B vitamins. I picked up a sublinqual liquid B-complex blend, and was feeling my old energy within a day or so of taking it.

Thanks ladies! :o)
    Sarahsdawn

Comment by Sarahsdawn (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2010