Do you think you should take it into consideration the type of name you choose for a biracial child?

We havent had any problems w/ naming our girls.. but we are having the hardest time naming our first boy.. I am caucasion and it seems i go for more unique names.. my husband is african american and he picks plain jane names.. we are trying to find a unique name.. but nothing "country" and nothing "ghetto" just a nice strong name that wouldnt consider him to be more "white" or more "black".. i know a name is a big deal for ANY child.. but ive also seen biracial children get thrown into one or the other category of color depending on a name... some of you may not get it, but hopefully!! Any ideas??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Baby Names

• i think it's silly, name the baby whatever you want whether is "sounds black" or "sounds white" i know alot of black guys with "white names" and some white people with "black names" it dosen't matter :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Name him whatever you like.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• see thats what im talking about haha :) you just said you know a lot of black guys with "white names" and white people with "black names" i dont want people saying you have a "white name" or you have a "black name" which is the whole point (: but it IS silly you are right!! but its also something Mamas gotta think about :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Pick a name that means something for you and your husband, It does not matter race. My cousin is white and her hubby is Chinese, she put a chinese middle name. My boys have family names. My sister her kids are names she likes, her youngest, is biracial and does not have a hispanic name. So I think it does not matter, just as long as the name has meaning ans significance to mom and dad. Congratulations :-)
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 8:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• it's just steryotypical not a big deal.. like i have black friends named james and jennifer and then there is ashanda and titus
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• We are low on opinions of names that mean unique but not over the top is what i was meaning... :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• just name him micheal. its black and white. lol ok that was no pun intended. i just realize i just wrote that. anyways, just pick what you like. how about a name you like for the first name and a name your husband likes for the middle name.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would just try to find something that both you and dh like. My kids are biracial (white and south asian) and we gave them south asian names because it was important to dh. So we chose south asian names, but made sure that we both liked the names we chose and found it reasonably easy to spell and pronounce. Their names are Chander (boy), Priya (girl), and Shanti (girl.) Most people don't even catch on that they are 'ethnic' names. There is a lot of divesity in our area and a lot of people use culturally based names so our kids actually blend in more than if they were 'John' and "Mary.'
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Michael.. hahah, that cracks me up.. its perfect to what I was saying! LOL.. too common though :) and Freela.. in my small town they are the ONLY biracial children!! crazy
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My son is half black and I am white his dad and i chose Aidan ...his father also picked chase and I thought about jordan ...either of those names aren't stereotypical to us anyway..good luck!
    Kri5taa

Answer by Kri5taa at 9:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2010