Does you SO/DH have a "tough love" way of handling your kids?

I am starting to get really frustrated with my husband on this. I've talked to him many times about it and it doesn't seem to change anything. When I say tough love, NO, I don't mean spanking. But it seems his first resort for everything is to yell or demand things. When our daughter is doing something she should be doing his first reaction would be "STOP TOUCHING IT NOW!!!".. I cannot stand this!! I will admit she is a very hard headed 3 year old but I always try the calm, nice approach first to give her the chance to correct her actions without getting stern. Since our talks never seem to make a difference I just started to step over him when he does it and repeat what he is saying but in a NICER way. Anyone else dealing with this??

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes, soo bad, it drives me crazy, all he does is make them cry. then he wonders why they never come to him when they want or need something. i dont know how may times i have had to talk to him too. he just doesnt seem to get that you can get the same effect without yelling.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My husband is very stern with our kids most of the time. It does bother me sometimes, but I think just because I don't like to see him get upset with our kids.

I think you and your DH balance each other out, and your kids will have different relationships with both of you, which is okay.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My SO has a lot more patience than I have, but then again, he hasn't been a father for the last 8 years -- only since he met me. He does come up with interesting ideas for rule enforcing and discipline that I had never thought of before.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• He's more heavy handed than I am. He spanks them for reasons I would not spank them. It annoys the hell out of me. There are times when I step in and tell him to knock it off then he accuses me of undermining him.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• no! we have a boy and 4 girls, and he is playful, and loving! I am the strict one...lol
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:43 AM on Nov. 22, 2010