do you ever feel like you expect too much from your kids?

my son just turned 6 and my daughter is 4 1/2... lately I think I've been over-disciplining... I guess I have enormous expectations and forget they aren't saints or little adults and alot of things I freak out about are entirely age appropriate. ... do you ever feel let down, like in your mind/heart your kids can do no wrong and then when they DO, you feel shocked/surprised?

... this is a semi vent from last night. I thought they were very, very ill and was ready to rush them to the E.R. and it turns out they ate 2 whole full size bags of marshmallows (in pantry for thanksgiving cooking) We don't normally have things like that in the house and I guess they lost their minds. They hid the empty bags and lied like crazy and were up sick w/ gut aches all night long. I was sooooo horrified that they'd do something so awful I had no sympathy. (Although I did call the nurse line to make sure their tummies could actually pass all that goo!)

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 9:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know my expectations for my kid are way high and I am trying to curb that. I grew up average in a house full of genius' and I try to make up for it by pushing my kid to excell in everything. He is only 5 though. I also have no sympathy for him when he does something he has been told not to do and gets hurt. I take care of the hurt but I don't baby him when it is something he knew he shouldn't be doing in the first place.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I have been lucky. I have very very good kids, and yes, when they do mess up (and everyone of us does) it hits me hard. They are only human, and I try hard to remember that.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2010