Ever feel like just being you again?

Not in a negative way here, but have you ever noticed that the longer you are with someone the more you loose who you once were? I mean not like you are no longer you. . . but you aren't at the same time. Some times I feel it would be nice to step back and be the old me and hang with my friends and be "carefree" again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• Interesting question... yes and no I guess.
    I like who I have become since we have become a team.
    But I guess I did have some good times before too.
    You made me think, I like it ;)
    isabellem

Answer by isabellem at 9:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I know what you mean!
    This marriage has changed me so much over the years I feel like I have totally lost who I was!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I don't know, I was 18 when I met my husband, I am 33 now. I don't know how much of my changes are because of marriage or because of age. I don't know if I want to be that person I was at 18 anymore, I think i am good right here.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I understand. My husband and I talk about this often, and it helps a little. We're very clingy with our kids and our entire lives revolve around them. We don't know who we are as a couple OR individually anymore.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yes. I've noticed pieces of my old self chipping away as the years go by. I read journals I wrote when i was a teenager or early adult and I laugh at my naivety. I read things I wrote 10 years ago and wish that person was still me.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I wast thinking while reading the answers and it just dawned on me that I have alreay been with my husband for 1/3 of my life!! Who would I be if I weren't with him? Would I have made better decisions in some areas or been as much of a chipper person? Just what would I be like. Cases like this I wish I was a female marty mcfly lol!
    But yes somedays I would like to be just elysse...however when the going gets tough I like having his shoulder to cry on
    elyssek832

Answer by elyssek832 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I have started feeling like this again alot,there are so many things about myself that i feel like i have lost, and i have decided that i am going to try and work myself back to that. My kids are no longer babies so maybe it will work.
    Itsallgood

Answer by Itsallgood at 10:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• yeah its very confusing because part of you will want to be the old you & have friends, & be care free as you said ... but the other part loves your relationship and doesnt want to completley give it up. i really just wish i could make me relationship work with being both. being able to still and friends and be me and be in my relationship.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Oh yes! My DH seems to be in my business all the time. He is currently working far away & I feel in control NOW. He tries to be the boss & it never works out. I need to reclaim me & what I want-regardless of what he says!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:56 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i agree feel the same way
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 8:27 AM on Nov. 22, 2010