Is there such a thing as a cheap divorce? adult content

Is there such a thing as a cheap divorce? My cousin just went through a divorce and her ex A$$hole took her for 25000, a van, plus 3000 more, and wants visitation of her daughter. She is paying for her daughters college, and helping her parents make home payments. Her ex is a loser who has not made more than 10000 since he started working. He is a sociopath and a narcissus Jerk. I have no Idea why he got what he got. He want to sue her for more. I plan on Divorcing my husband of almost 9 years but can not afford a lengthy divorce and I know that he will be very vindictive. I have been emotionally, verbally and recently physically abused for years. We have 2 children and I am just done, I saw pictures of his new online girlfriend and read intimate conversations. he told her that sex would be better with a blow up doll. his relationship with her is across the continent but still, the last time was 3 years ago and I think he went all the way. Is there a way to afford a divorce or am I stuck? I want to be happy, I want to be able to hold my head up again and I want to be free to fold underwear with out being yelled at, yes petty but one of the little things I get screamed at for. Thank you. All advice would be appreciated.  After the divorce I plan on getting him a blow up doll as a present :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• I would say no. I divorced my ex after 11 years of emotional/verbal abuse and I was so happy to just get out that I didn't care about losing everything I did. The only thing I wanted was my kids - I now have them 80% of the time and the other stuff, yes it hurts sometimes to think about some of the material things I gave up, but only the things I can't replace (my baby dress that I had my picture and my daughters picture taken in when we were each 9-12 months old, my kids baby books, etc)

Answer by missanc at 9:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• YES!!! first you need to print out all of the e-mails of them talking, give them to the judge. you can pin the entire divorse on his infedelity. and in some states you can actually sue the other woman for ruining your marriage. im not saying that its going to be really cheap, but start getting your case together. go to like a safeplace for abused women, they useually have free lawyers that you can meet with.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I live in Oregon which is a no Fault state, I don't know if that makes a difference, I am just all cried out, so I can at least maintain my composure until I can save some money.  He is so vindictive, it will not be an easy divorce that is for sure!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yes, IF both agree on EVERYTHING it can be done by ourselves through Family Court.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I got mine through Legal Aid and it didn't cost me anything

Answer by admckenzie at 10:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• If you can AGREE on everything...you can do it yourself and pay for filing fees. Thats what I did from my first marriage. We split up the bills and what not...decided on c/s and visitation and then I filed them for $270. I went online to my county courthouses website and printed out the forms for free.
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 10:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I live in Oregon too. You can go down to your courthouse and get the paperwork for about $10. Ask them to waive the fees-the judge will take it into consideration-and then you are done! Don't wait-and if you go to a BPA shelter they will walk you through it! The physical abuse can get much worse in a big hurry; so contact someone immediately please. Please message me if you need help or anyone to talk it out with!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My total cost was $556.93....
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 10:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• A bullet and a shovel. Cheapest divorce there is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My aunt went to her courthouse and told them she couldn't afford much and she got a divorce very cheap. Mine cost $5k.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:32 AM on Nov. 22, 2010