What is your opinion on child leashes?

Just curious abut fellow moms thoughts on the topic

goldfish09

Asked by goldfish09 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• My child isn't a pet.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• LOVE THEM!!!!!!! and so does my kids, the think the are great, they wear them around the house and use the leash part as a tail
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• That is just wrong on so many levels.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I bought a couple when my twins were 2 and I couldn't keep up with them. The first time I used them, Corey took off running, hit the end and landed flat on his face, and had gravel stuck in his forehead. I burned the leashes.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• When I was out in post christmas shopping with 100's of other people with a toddler that did not want to be in a cart, it kept her near me and she enjoyed being out in public. It also gave me peace of mind that she couldn't wander off.

Now, I don't use it to pull her along or to 'lead' her. It is an extra arm that I can hold onto her without her walking with her hand over her head.

I only use it when there are lots of people around.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I've never needed one for my kids, but if there was a situation that warranted it, I probably would have used them. Crowded airports would be one place because it's a pain in the butt to collapse a stroller, and get it right when going through security, then waiting on the tarmac for it to come off the plain. Especially with a connecting flight. I can see why people use them, but like I said before, I never had a need.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I used to be totally against them. I hated them and saw them as borderline abuse. Now that I have a 2 year old who likes to run away from me and not listen when I tell her to come back, and a 3 month old which makes it hard to run after her sometimes, I understand their use. It keeps them safe and limits the opportunity for them to disobey, which limits the number of times they have to be corrected/punished negatively.

I still don't use one, but I 100% understand why some parents do, and I no longer see them as a problem.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Depends on where we are, my daughter has a tendency to not pay attention and wander off, not because she is trying to get away, but because she is just in her own place. So if we are in a zoo, airport, amusement park, I use them. Not just to go to Target, I can keep up with them there. I just like the idea of having a hold of them even if our hands get separated, I use the ones that connect our wrists together, not the backpack ones, so it is like we are both on leashes. (that is what my son says)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• The only time I would ever use one is on vacation, if we'd be hiking, mountain regions, cliffs, etc. In everyday public places- never.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Don't knock them till you try them!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2010