Is it okay to put my 7 week baby on a schedule??

Im not sure if its okay to put him on a schedule now or should i still be letting him feed on demand & sleeping on demand. Any one have any experience or opinions about this??

CassieM2B

Asked by CassieM2B at 9:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are better to wait till he is closer to 6 months. Since a babys tummy is the size of their fist, they get hungry more often than we do. Feed him on demand and let him sleep when he wants to. Sleeping is a huge part of growth. that is when they digest what they have experienced.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I have had 3 babies, and did all 3 on demand.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Scheduled feeding is linked to failure to thrive. NEVER limit a baby's access to food. And babies that young need to sleep often. I also wouldn't recommend sleep scheduling.

I actually think scheduled anything for a baby under at least 8 months is a bad idea. It's contrary to their nature and not good for them. Babies naturally make their own schedules. Follow those cues and adjust YOUR schedule to that. Much easier and much better for baby.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Good Luck I have never been able to get even a 5 month old on a schedule, we just do the what ever the baby wants.
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 10:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• for my own sanity, i decided my DD would have an 8:00 bed time...other than that, she does not have a schedule and never has....shes 4 1/2 mos...but at bed time we have a routine and she goes to sleep in her crib in her room and Mommy gets some CHILL TIME....thats the best thing ive done so far because it has lead to her either sleeping all night or only getting up once for a bottle...when babies see a pattern and know what to expect next, they are much more content.....but at 7 weeks, even if you got the baby on a schedule, it would change soon because of growth spurts or maybe baby could get sick, teething etc....they are changing AALLLLL the time....so thats why i chose the bed time thing to be the one thing i control...no matter whats going on i can always at least stick to that.
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• i fed on demand but had a little bit of a sleeping schedule - i had a time i wanted to try to have them in bed by, both for naps and at night, but if they needed to eat first or woke up hungry i fed them and rearranged if i had to for sleep time. they were pretty good about having their own schedule for sleep though by that age, i still fed on demand.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Everything on demand. When DD was 3 months old we started a "bed time" for us both. We both go to sleep together at the same time every night. If she wants to lie awake with me and "talk" or nurse in the low light and have relaxation time, that is fine.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• both, you can do on demand, but at the same time try a schedule, like every 4 hours, it's never to early to get a schedule going, that means for bedtime too, Mine did really well with it. He ended up getting use to schedule and did very well with it.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010