Mirena birth control?

Do you have it? what are your views on it? what kind of experience have you had with it? would you recomend it? Im thinking about calling my dr tomorrow and setting up an apt to get it bc i am bad at remembering my pills and dont want to get pregnant again any time soon. all advice welcome

marinesweetie

Asked by marinesweetie at 10:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Health

• I had one and loved it. No cramps, no bloating, no pms, no periods for 4.5 years. I just got it out last month and can't wait till I can get a new one put in. The only problem I had with it was I started spotting at about 4.5 years. It is supposed to come out at 5 years so I guess mine had started to fail. Other than that it was great. I never even thought about it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• ugh i hated mine. got it in and bled heavy for the first 9 months and light bleeding for about 3-4 more. then i was in pain everyday till i got it taken out.. mine only lasted for 2 years before i got it out.. and when it got taken out it was upside down, and both the strings had fallen off somehow...
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 10:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I had it and I HATED it! Biggest mistake of my life. It nearly ruined my marriage because of how psychotic it made me, I had what felt like the yeast infection from hell for about 8 months, rashes all over my body, hair falling out in handfulls, I gained 35lb (while eating well and exercising), lost my breast milk after 2 or 3 weeks (tried for months to get it back before we figured out it was the Mirena), I couldn't have sex because it was excruciating to even have him touch me, and a bunch of other problems. I never recommend it to anyone, even though I know not everyone had that kind of hellacious experience with it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2010