What made You Decide?

What country did you adopt from? Was there a specific reason you wanted to adopt from there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Adoption

• We adopted from the US because it just wasn't feasible for one or both of us to be leaving the country as seems to be needed for international adoption.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• We adopted from the US because we got extremely blessed with a private newborn adoption and a newborn foster care adoption. If that wouldn't have happened, we were looking into Russia or China. But I'm with AllAboutKeeley....I'm not sure either one of us would have been able to leave the country for the amount of time necessary to adopt internationally. That was one reason we went the foster care route, and we got blessed with our second baby girl.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 7:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• At first it was the cost of adoptions in another country. Then once we adopted one child we chose to adopt our other two from the US. There was just no way no matter what either of us could leave our other child/children. The other reason is because while I understand there are thousands of children in other courtries that need to be adopted we have them here in the US as well. Its sometimes harder with longer lists but if you are looking for anything other than a healthy white baby the wait isn't so long. Hope this helps and Blessings to you and your family.
    mrsrevjohnson

Answer by mrsrevjohnson at 8:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Dh and I discussed adoption on our very first date at 16...both of us wanted to adopt from China. There was never another option for us. When our first daughter Kahlan was stillborn, we tabled the discussion for a while. Once we felt ready, China was the only country program that felt right. Honestly, we were terrified of a domestic adoption..we had just lost one child and we knew that we couldn't get attached to a child and have the possibility of a disruption. Selfish, most likely....but, when you've lost a child emotions play a huge part in decision making.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:37 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Continued....
    We've been home for 19 months with our gorgeous daughter Lillian. She was 17 months when we met and is 3 yrs old today! We are more in love with her every day.
    China is such an amazing country...steeped in history and absolutely beautiful. The people were so nice and we loved our time there. Dh and I are already talking about taking Lilly and her baby sister to China in about 8 years so that Lilly can see her homeland.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• We're trying to start the process to adopt from Korea. We recently came back from being stationed over there and it was an awesome experience. We fell in love with the country and the people. We picked Korea because we figured that even though we aren't Asian, we'd be able to help him or her to understand and embrace their birth country a little more than if we adopted from another country. We hope to be stationed there again in the future and I would hope that she or he would get to learn and grow from that as well.
    short_lil_chick

Answer by short_lil_chick at 9:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• We chose foster adoption because of the huge number of children needing homes here in the U.S. We also wanted to adopt an 'older' child because there is such a need for famlies for these kids, and many just grow up in foster care moving froim home to home. Those moves do almost as much damage emotionally (if not more) than the abuse and/or neglect. They learn they can never count on anyone. Sorry for rambling here...

Though I woudn't say we were comfortable with the risk of attaching to a child and then losing her, we somehow accepted it. Still, we asked for a very low-risk situation and that is what we got. The court was ready to terminate the birth parents' fights, but they will not actually do that (generally) until an adoptive family is identified. The rights were terminated three months after she was placed with us. Personally, I highly recommend foster adoption.

ForeverMom05

Answer by ForeverMom05 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Hi There, My husband and I went to a Catholic Charities Orientation to hear about Domestic and International Adoptions. We were given alot of information on both and decided to go with Korea. I knew a few friends that adopted from Korea and they all had wonderful experiences just like we did. If you would like further info please let me know and I would love to talk to you more about this. Take Care, Dee-Dee
    Dee-Dee1313

Answer by Dee-Dee1313 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2009