Should I try to take his bottle?

My 27 month old still has his bottle. He only gets water in it but he is not ready to give it up yet. We have tried and he will scream for 3+ hours for it and make himself sick. I just told him he can only have it in bed at nap time and bed time. It is his comfort thing right now. He never really took a binky and is not attached to any stuffed toy or blanket. Right now his daddy is deployed and he is feeling insecure. I'm afraid if I take it away now he will become even more stressed over it. What should I do?

EtiesMommy

Asked by EtiesMommy at 6:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• im my opnion he is a little big for a bottle, hes over 2. Most doctors recoment taking them at one year of age, its usualy easier at that point. However looks like we are past that. The only thing i can say is your just gonna have to take it from him tell him bottles are for babies hes not a baby anymore Hes gonna cry but rest asure he will get over it, maybe reward him for giving his bottle up let him pick out a new toy or something. good luck
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• We have tried just taking it away. But when he screamed from 8 pm until almost 2 in the morning waht am I to do. We didn't take the bottle at one and our doctor knew that because he was not transitioning from the soy formula to regular milk and would not drink the soy milk. So she told us to use the bottle until he took to the milk. By the time he was drinking the milk we had to pack up and move 4000 miles across the country. Then his daddy left for training and now he is gone for a long while. My son has always been a daddy's boy. He was starting to potty train before my husband left and now has no interest in it. I am afraid that by forcing him to give it up it will make him suffer even more.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 8:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• what's wrong with letting him keep it until daddy comes home. As long as it's only water and he gets sippy cups for everything else, I don't think it's a big deal. espically if he's holding on to it b/c of change (daddy deployed). Then when daddy comes home he can give daddy his bottle and be a big boy. Or maybe you can package the bottle and send it to daddy?
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Don't worry about it. Let him have his bottle. My son is 2.5 years old and still uses his for milk in the morning. Sippys are just grown up looking bottles anyways. I had mine till I was 4 and am perfectly fine. There is no need to take a bottle away.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Thank you ferdo0204 and purpleducky. You made me feel a bit better about this situation. I think I will let him tell me he doesn't need it instead of just yanking it away. Thank you so much.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 12:08 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I say let him have it. He will give it up when he is ready. My daughter is also 27 months old and still has her bottle at night and when she gets sleepy. She wont fight me if I take it from her but it is like her comfort blanket. Most of the time she doesnt even drink it she just want to hold it and sleep. I say all in time. Just let them tell you want they want and listen to them. I wouldnt force anything.
    QTMamma01

Answer by QTMamma01 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Let him box it up and send it to daddy. Tell him if daddy has his bottle, he'll be thinking about him every time he sees it. Box them all up and send them to daddy, then daddy can either donate them to kids over seas, or just toss them. Then get him a super special sippy cup that can be really special reaffirming that he's a big boy and continue on!
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 11:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• central-that-is-a-great-idea....my-twins-cried-for-a-day-ut-ever-wanted-one-again
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2008