Speech Delays

For anyone who has had to deal with this with their kids, what's the best way to help them? I have a 3 year old that is behind on his speech and while we are working with him and doctors on it I was just curious if anyone had any tips that I might not have heard yet.

ChristianJMommy

Asked by ChristianJMommy at 10:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• If he is 3 go to your district school and request that he be evaluated. Our youngest was severely speech delayed. What we didn't know until he'd been tested was he had fine and gross motor delays as well as profound social delays. The district was key in helping our son get on track.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• When my son was younger we used sign language and PECS along with speech therapy.

Answer by missanc at 10:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Our Doc and Speech Therapist both said not to worry to much until my little guy turned 4. He has come along way all of a sudden between 3 and 4. So now, at 4.5 he is going to start formal speech therapy in a few weeks so he doesn't have any trouble when he starts K in the fall. My only advise is to consult a speech therapist at this point.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• It really depends on what his actual problem is. My 3 yo leaves the ending off of his words, can't say multi-syllable words well, and runs everything together, on top of the fact that he substitutes a lot of letter sounds for others. He's an adorable little mess to be honest with you. We just make sure to slow our speech down for him, say longer words in a segmented way, and we use a lot of hand motions to go with the words and certain sounds, IDK why hand motions help him but they do! For ex, he has a hard time making the /d/ sound so when a word has a d in it the speech therapist told us to use our pointer finger to point upward as we repeat the word, making sure to do so as we stress the /d/ sound. He's so cute b/c when he's trying to say something we don't understand his little hands start going and going! He also does well when he can look in the mirror to help him figure out how his mouth should look. Best of luck 2 u!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would have him evaluated by Child Find or whatever your state calls their early intervention. Because he is 3 it may have to be done through the school district. My oldest had pretty significant delays in speech at 2.5, but his understanding was at the level of a 4-5 yr old. This qualified him for speech therapy and he went until he turned 6. At nearly 13 no one knows that he was ever delayed.

At home I sang a lot of sound songs and Old MacDonald. I had a CD that had sound songs. They helped a lot. And he and his little sister (20 months younger) started talking well at the same time. Yeah, that was fun.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Sounds like you've got it pretty well covered. Keep talking and making him speak back to you. I had this problem with my son, who is fine now at age 14. I really had to "push" him to properly respond, not just point, or look at the floor and mumble etc. He was a bit socially delayed as well. Ask questions when you are reading to him, give him choices when you can, play games that require him to use language. Keep it as fun and simple as you can so he doesn't get frustrated.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Find a speech therapist. My mom is one and I work for her, we see lots of kids, especially boys, ages 2 and up with speech delays or articulation problems. There are any number of reasons it can happen and you are not theonly one!! Sometimes it just takes someone other than mom and dad to get them going. Good luck!!
    mommymeg2002

Answer by mommymeg2002 at 10:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• my son sees a therapist twice a week for 30 minutes (free through the state). That has helped a little bit. I also try to take ds to library playgroup and set up playdates with friends with kids close to his age. I also take him to the park and indoor playground in the mall weekly. Being social is important because children learn by example! They can pick up words and phrases easily the more they are around them (and hopegully g rated lol). DS watches educational tv during the morning and snacktime which he has picked up words from (sesame street, blues clues and caillou have played a big role) and I role play with him with his trains (I have thomas and salty have a simplistic conversation lol), I do flashcards and we do puzzles, build with legos together....etc.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• sorry for my bad spelling. I type fast. I need to work on that lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• This has been mentioned, but I second the Early Intervention. Identify you're state's early intervention because he can receive additional therapy through the early intervention and frequently a preschool or playgroup type activity with other kids. I also encourage you to have your child involved with playgroups as much as possible. It's very beneficial for delayed kids to spend time with typically developing children.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:07 AM on Nov. 22, 2010