if pain in childbirth is the curse of eve and women should go through it then wouldn't a epi. be againest religous beliefs??

i asked the other question about pain free child birth in the bible. and alot of responses about the cruse of eve keeps come up. if it's the curse and women should go through it then it seems like getting a Epi. to get rid of the pain would be against the religous beliefs wouldn't it.

if not then what makes women today any better and non-deserving then the women of the bible?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 10:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good point!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• For some people, it IS against their religion to use pain meds.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• No.

The curse of the man was to have to toil against the ground. Does that mean that it's wrong to develop farming equipment and techniques that make the toil against the earth to yield a crop easier?

A curse presents a problem. But it doesn't mean we're not allowed to seek to solve that problem. What else is our God-given brain and intellect for?

But just because women in Biblical times didn't have epidurals doesn't make them "less deserving." In fact, of developing nations, the United States has some of the worst birth statistics. Better birth statistics are found in countries that use midwives and less doctor and medical intervention. The Business of Being Born is an excellent documentary about this.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Hmmm. Well, I had a C-Section. I hope God isn't mad at me because I had the spinal block. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Seeing as how I only view that story as just a story and not actual truth, I feel it's just a way for a woman to begin her transition to motherhood.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• It's not against my religion, lol! I view medical advances as a blessing from God. Sickness in the world is a direct consequence of Adam and Eve's sin, but most of us religious folks have no problem accepting medical treatments.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:04 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• If it is I guess I'm even happier not to be Christian... But no, overall I don't think it is or would be. In the middle ages one of the main reasons women were targeted for the "witch hunts" was because the Catholic church deemed midwives to be evil since they elevated the pain of childbirth and this was going against God's will... But I don't believe that's the thinking today. God may have given women pain, but he also gave us medical science...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:43 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• That "pain of childbirth" stuff comes straight from the early church as a way to control the masses. If the church decided that the women did not scream enough or was in enough pain they were considered unclean? Did you know that they also believed that if a women died in childbirth they were unclean as they didnt complete "there job" and could not be buried in the church cemetary. Did you also know that once they were preg. they were considered unclean and could not walk into a church until sometime after they had the baby.......if it was a male baby they could come back into the church earlier then a female. Women were considered a step up from the poo on the bottom of your shoes of course they should suffer in childbirth. After all that Eve was the queen of evilness dressed in a womens body.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:01 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Geez, I was just answering because I thought it was funny. Ya know, it's fun to have someone to blame for all the crap us women have to endure.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• A lot of Jehovah's witnesses home birth to honor the process and sensations of child birth.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2010