Im breastfeeding my daughter and noticed a red blotch above my nipple. The area is a bit hard under the blotch, what is it? Is it still safe to breastfeed her?

i have been feeling a bit under the weather.  i have had a headache for days now and last night i was running a temp of 101.7. during that time i gave her formula, i was'nt sure if she could or would get anything from my milk. she's not even 2 weeks old and i just did'nt want to take the chance, but after the temp was gone for a while i picked up where i left off.  i also noticed recently she dose'nt seem to be feeding as well on the side withe the red spot. she moves around alot and falls asleep alot. but she usually falls asleep threw out our feedings anyway so i dont know if that even matters.  im just having a hard time breastfeeding but i am determined.

mother740

Asked by mother740 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can't pass the flu through breast milk. But you can pass the antibodies to protect your baby while you are sick ! Awesome!

Visit kellymom.com and see if maybe you have a milk blister? I don't know.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Ok let me start by saying that you should try to BF while you're sick because the baby won't get sick from your milk, but she WILL get the antibodies that your body produces so she's LESS likely to get sick. If you just can't do it, then that's ok, but it's better if you try. That sounds like you have a clogged milk duct. Try a warm washcloth over it, feeding and massage the area to loosen the clog. If she won't feed from that side, try to pump or hand express. If it doesn't get better after a couple of days, you may want to see a lactation consultant or your doctor or midwife for it. Also, standing in the shower with really warm water and massaging it may help your milk let down and loosen it, also.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Sounds like you may have thrush. Go to the doctor. You shouldn't breastfeed until it's cleared up if that's what it is. Baby will get it. Or it could just be blisters from breastfeeding for the first few weeks. Both hurt and suck big time! Good luck! :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• That sounds like a breast abcess....very dangerous for YOU. Talk to your Doctor soon.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Go to the dr. and get it checked
    KRISTAL_WILDER

Answer by KRISTAL_WILDER at 12:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• BF while sick is ok unless your doctor has sa nt to because of medications, there are very very few illnesses that can pass through your milk. Most likely you have a clogged milk duct that might have gotten infected. Keep letting her nurse from that breast and massage the spot as she nurses. You can also try to pump after she nurses to get the clog cleared. You should see your doc to check for infection because of the fever, you may need antibiotics. Warm compresses for 10-15 minutes before dd nurses will also help clear it up. And thrush is on your nipple and would be in dd's mouth, so I don't think that's what it is.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• No thrush doesn't just stay on the nipple. It goes into the milk ducts too. It's painful, and it sucks. And my son caught it too. I had to use a special mouth rinse for him because of it. I had red splotches around my areola. It's a fungus and it can travel.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• This is mastitis. You NEED to nurse as much as possible to clear it out. Here is some information about it. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 9:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2010