When someone says they are Pro-life...

Do you automatically think they are against birth control? Or protestors at abortion clinics? and have ALL the same beliefs of Pro-Life organizations...? Call them "anti-woman/anti-choice" and so on. Do you automatically have negative opinions of them if you are Pro-Choice.

WoWer.Mama

Asked by WoWer.Mama at 11:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No. I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I know people aren't black and white (well, some are). But not everyone who is pro-life/anti-choice is killing doctors to save babies or bombing Planned Parenthood and "letting God decide how many children they'll have." I think all of it is a personal choice.
    I disagree with their sweeping decision that women shouldn't have the right to decide for themselves, but I don't think they're all super extreme to one side.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• No, they could be like me- I would never ever have an abortion I believe God would make a way no matter wut the circumstances but if someone I knew had one I wouldn't hate them but at the same time I don't think abortion should be mis used i.e. I know someone who has had at least 5 abortions which is ridiculous
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I don't ever assume that someone with a different opinion from me is necessarily an extremist. I also think it would be better to say people are either pro-choice or anti-choice. The same question could be asked of 'pro-life' people, do they automatically assume a pro-choice person is also pro-abortion? I am PERSONALLY ANTI-abortion for just about all circumstances besides threat to my own life, but POLITICALLY I am pro-choice, because I think it should be a decision a woman makes on her own (or with her family, doctor, etc., but NOT the government). I respect that someone is 'pro-life' in their personal decisions, but I don't think their views (or even my personal views) should be forced on others.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Well. see there is now two people saying "anti-choice", which I get...but I still get offened by that....
    WoWer.Mama

Comment by WoWer.Mama (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• NO because I am PRO-CHOICE (not pro termination). PRO CHOICE means accepting life, adoption, termination- every woman should have the choice of what happens to and what grows in her body.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Why do you think is anti-choice offensive? Just curious. Personally, I find the term pro-life misleading, because pro-choice people are not always pro-abortion people, but saying the other side is pro-life makes it sound that way. I thought anti-choice was a good alternative term. Are there better terms out there that cover the broad spectrum of these views? If not, I guess we'll just have to stick with the same old terms, but I always feel like I should explain my entire perspective on the issue on each question about pro-choice. To me, the opposite of pro-life would be pro-abortion, which not all pro-choice people are. So, my thoughts were that the terms pro-choice and anti-choice made more sense, and I was thinking about using those terms instead of pro-life/pro-choice or pro-life/pro-abortion, because it's more about the politics of the stance and less about each person's personal views.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I get offended by "anti-choice" because if can be so broad. Like it could be I don't think woman should be able to take Birth control, or have sex til marriage, or have a choice in how they give birth...really a choice in anything as a woman if I am "anti-choice". It just doesn't sound right to me.
    WoWer.Mama

Comment by WoWer.Mama (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• umm, that should be...Why do you think anti-choice is offensive? Sorry for the typo
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Ah, I see what you mean. If someone says they are pro-life (or even uses the term anti-choice), I don't assume they are against birth control unless they specifically mention it. I'm not sure what others think when they hear either of those though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I think that pro-life people are simply anti-abortion. I don't put them all in the same category, just as I don't put all pro-choice people in one category. There are plenty of pro-choice people that are against abortion for themselves, but don't feel right about making a choice for another person, while others are fine with any type of abortion. There are pro-lifers that are against abortion completely and then others that are okay with it if the life of the mother is at risk. I think there is a pretty small fraction of pro-lifers that are against any form of birth control (I could be wrong, just thinking of the one's that I know personally).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2010