How can someone be on FS and going to buy Wii system for Christmas?

Does that make sense. you can not afford food but you can afford a game.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• not touchin this one.............

can of worms

mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I was on FS and saved every dime I could for close to a year to buy my twins the playstation 2 that they had wanted forever.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 11:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• if you can save money; why not buy food with it and you won't need FS.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Let me tell you how because I did it. I not only work, but go to school FULLTIME. Getting foodstamps helps me to be able to pay bills, save money and live. I bust my ass off everyday and if I want to save a few bucks here and there to buy my kid a Wii, I will. Foodstamps, HELP to be able to do other things. If I didn't get food stamps, I would have NO money to pay my bills. YOU should NOT assume what someone does that is on food stamps. That person could be a foster parent, taking care of a relatives kids, etc. They could have cancer, lost a long time job. How do you know that SOMEONE ELSE didn't pay for that Wii or whatever it is that you think someone on food stamps shouldn't be able to get? Maybe the family WON the Wii or it was given to them or they got it BEFORE their lives got turned upside down. Yeah, I saved CHANGE for over a year to get my son a Wii.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• The money I "saved" came from not buying shoes or clothes for myself.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 11:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I do not think you have to be completely destitute to get food stamps.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• OP: you asked why if money can be saved why it's not used for food? How the heck to you expect someone who probably saved CHANGE to buy food for a family? I probably saved a few dollars a week, not hundreds of dollars. BIG DIFFERENCE.

To those that bash families on food stamps and question our lives...YOU CAN BE IN OUR SITUATION AT ANYTIME!! 5 out of 6 families are 1 paycheck from being homeless.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• than use that money to buy yourself food. instead of depending on the government to give you free food when you can buy it yourself.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Besides, I am disabled and cannot work. I was 2 credits short to get full disability, and without foodstamps my kids would either live on the streets or starve because $674 a month doesn't go very far.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 11:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• but you can buy a playstation; that make sense/ If i could not feed my kids; i would not be buying games.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Nov. 21, 2010