TSA security question.

So I'm okay with any safety measures the TSA puts in place, but I have a question for any of you that have read up on it. (I don't need to hear about all of your violated rights and negative comments). I just want to know if someone has an answer to this question.

Why aren't they just increasing bomb sniffing dogs?? Has this been brought up anywhere? Would that be more effective than the pat-downs?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 11:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yep, it's been brought up, and it doesn't make the former head of homeland security any money, so it's not on the table.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I don't understand?? So the pat-downs make him money...Or is it that the dogs are too expensive. I'm really curious about that point. Do you know any articles about it?
    sunshine58103

Comment by sunshine58103 (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yes, and I think the dogs are a great idea. For one thing, it wouldn't leave the opportunity for a terrorist who could be in the 80% who aren't checked to slip by.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• What lovin said.

Of course the pat-downs don't make any money...but if they are offensive enough people will opt for the scanner instead.

Military trained dogs can smell even the residue of bomb making materials. Dogs can also be trained to find biological materials..did you know dogs can be trained to smell cancer? The are much less expensive, less intrusive and they work for food.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• So why instead to fighting and complaining isn't anyone looking into more dogs?? Come on! I know someone has an article on this!!
    sunshine58103

Comment by sunshine58103 (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• So why instead to fighting and complaining isn't anyone looking into more dogs??

It's anybody's guess really ... mine? Because it has very little to do with ACTUAL security.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:08 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• What doesn't have to do with Actual security??? The pat downs or the fighting. Because I'm sure that the people that make these new security procedures are not the people who are actually doing the security. It' s not like the people on the floor were like "please boss, please let us feel up the passengers" So I don't see how these people are "perves"...they are just trying not to join the unemployed.

Fighting not having anything to do with security?? I believe that...
    sunshine58103

Comment by sunshine58103 (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• the former head of homeland security is making money by selling the scanners to airports ..... so having dogs around and not using the scanners will not make him the billions he is dreaming about right now.

Damn good idea though ... Dogs would be a much better scanner.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 12:46 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i wouldn't want a dog near me. how about starting with updating the dang gone lists they have,, making them globally avialable to everyone on real time and sharing information.. plus.. TAKING PEOPLE SERIOUS WHEN THEY COME AND TELL YOU THAT A LOVED ONE OR FRIEND OR HUSBAND OR WIFE IS PLANNING AN ATTACK. i think these should be the first steps!!!
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 5:49 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• The dogs have been brought up, repeatedly. As lovin said, it's about money. They spent billions of dollars from the ridiculous stimulus package to funnel money to a firm managed by the former head of DHS. If they were to change direction and look into dogs like other countries use, they'd have to admit not only that they were wrong, but that they misappropriated several billion dollars in stimulus funds. There is no way that's going to happen without a court order.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:28 AM on Nov. 22, 2010