Best potty training advice?

I have a 3 year old that I really need to get potty trained. He shows interests and signs that he's ready, but just unsure of how to go about it?

ChristianJMommy

Asked by ChristianJMommy at 11:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• For my son, I waited until we had an entire week and took all of our diapers upstairs so they would be more difficult for me to get to. I didn't get rid of them, so we would still have them at night, but had to make them less accessible so I wouldn't give in :) I put him in underwear and told him that was it, he had to go potty on the toilet or his potty seat. I made a chart with pictures of a toilet, wiping and washing hands. He got to put a sticker next to each, each time he went and then I made a prize chart. Each day he got all his stickers, he got a prize chart sticker and if he earned all those for the week, he got his prize.
    He had accidents for sure and didn't bowel train at that same time. He would wait and bm at night with his pull-up on. It took another 6 months to bowel train. I think ti's all about encouragement and rewarding :) Good Luck!
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 11:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Just keep after him....my daughter is doing this now and i keep her in panties all day,... if she has an accident i just change her and keep on going about my business... Its can be very trying at times but remember they are trying. I ask her all the time if she has to go and if she seems unsure i take her anyway....she is in panties all day and then at night i put her in pull ups...she is doing really good.
    Kellixclark

Answer by Kellixclark at 12:35 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Talk it up and use M & M's :-)
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 22, 2010