Why do we spoil our kids????

We created monsters by doing this & now it is so hard to undo it

NicolesMommy

Asked by NicolesMommy at 11:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Who is spoiling a child? "We" across the board is an absolute. Meaning EVERY parent raises a spoiled brat. And I am not one for in generals. SOME parents raise kids in a manner that is very "spoiled" or entitled. But certainly not every child is walking around thinking they are entitled. Some of it is child development. I love when other moms point out "spoiled" children and call them self centered. Well developmentally, for many ages it is normal to be the center of your own universe. I would be more worried about the existential child who is only three years old. Yikes. My son is blessed to have a lot of nice things. That doesn't make him spoiled. And to be fair, there are a ton of things that he wishes he had but does not. Part of giving your child everything is giving the gift of desire and wanting. I remember growing up and hoping and praying that something would be mine. That desire and hope was

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:34 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i dont think every child who is spoiled is a monster. i was so VERY spoiled and i am not a monster. i also plan on spoiling my children, because they deserve it. i know a lot of people wont agree with me but thats okay. i know what being spoiled did to me. it gave me the motivation so want to continue that lifestyle for myself and for my future children and so thats why I am a straight A student in college & a hard worker.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:03 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i feel like as maybe we spoil our kids because we might of not got spoiled so we want the best for our kids
    crazybitch10592

Answer by crazybitch10592 at 12:06 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I don't think your children have to be brats just because they are spoiled. It's possible to teach your child manners while showering them with love and toys. I get the majority of my daughters toys at Goodwill or Craigslist/ garage sales for crazy good deals, which results in her having a LOT of toys. However, she certainly doesn't get something every time she goes to the store and if she pitches any sort of a fit, we will just go home. I definitely consider her spoiled though; her room and her playroom are totally filled with toys! lol
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:17 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I spoil my son because I never got to be spoiled, and still am not. Every extra dollar we have goes for my son. I want him to have so much more than I had when I was growing up, I want him to think back to childhood and have good memories.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:18 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• cuz we love them :)
    Kellixclark

Answer by Kellixclark at 12:33 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My kids will be spoiled rotten!... until they start acting like they are.... I will give them anything and everything as long as they deserve it. Their attitudes, grades, manners, the way they treat others, will all come into effect when deciding on what they do and do not get. When I was in MS and HS, my dad didn't take us girls shopping but once a year (the beginning of school). We all had good grades and EXCELLENT manners, but we were never rewarded for it. My step-sister, on the other hand, was rewarded for nothing. There was a time that her and my sister ran away together...they were caught after about 4 days. My sister got licks, she was grounded, and got everything taken away....my step-sister got taken on a shopping spree...I shit you not. I WANT my kids to be spoiled....but I also want them to know that they EARNED it.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• mie are spoiled and were taught that if they did not appreciate what they got it would be donated to kids who would! My ids 7,4,3 and 1 go with me to volunteer in homeless shelters and soup kitchens, the realize how lucky they are! GOOD LUCK!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:38 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My DS girlfriend is a spoiled rotten only child and I find her to be selfish and hard to deal with. Her parents still kiss her ass at the age of 24. I hate to break it to her, but there are others on the planet besides herself. I do not plan on spoiling my kids rotten. They can do well and make a good life for themselves, and still know what it is to share, have adversity and not get everything their own way. Just MPO.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:40 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• also a gift. I give my son the gift of desire, hoping, and dreaming. Even the gift of disappointment so he can learn what disappointment feels like and have the skills it takes later on in life to cope with losses and disappointments. But others may look at his blessed life: private school education, nice clothes, and toys and think "ahhh....spoiled." It is possible to be struggling financially and raise an entitled child. God knows it happens.  But we typically think that if a family provides lots of toys or trips that child is a brat.  The other thing is how much time we spend with him.  We take him with us on long bike rides, play tons of board games each night, and take a ton of educational/fun family trips.  To that we often hear how "spoiled" he is.  But in truth all parents give the best life possible to their child.  No he's not spoiled, but he is LOVED.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:42 AM on Nov. 22, 2010