How do you store onions & celery?

I store onions in a zipper bag or tupperware in the fridge but it seems to lose it's flavor after a few days :(

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 12:21 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yeah, you can either cut up the rest and freeze it, or use it up within a day or two. Otherwise, yep, it will definitely lose flavor. Only use the frozen stuff for cooking, not when serving it raw. The texture changes after it's been frozen.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:07 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Are you talking about once they've been cut, or while they're fresh and whole?
    Onions can be stored at room temp. Celery should be stored in the grocery store bag in the fridge. If they've been cut up, I freeze them (I will cut up a good amount and freeze them to save time later).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:28 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I store my onions in the fridge (habit) but I read somewhere that putting onions in the fridge can do something to the sugar in them and make them a higher risk for causing cancer.
    Brandi2206

Answer by Brandi2206 at 3:12 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I put the cut up ones in a platic container in the fridge but won't anymore after reading this. Freezing sounds better!
    summerbabe

Answer by summerbabe at 5:47 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• OOps, once they've been cut. Like I have half of an onion left over...
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 12:29 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• For a leftover cut onion, I put it in a glass dish & cover it with a plastic lid or saran-type wrap, but only if I'm going to use it up within the next day or two. If I want to store it long term, I'll freeze it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2010