did or would you let your doctor "sweep your membrane?"

before anybody jumps down my throat... it's just a question, not saying i will do this.... :) thanks

young-not-dumb

Asked by young-not-dumb at 12:33 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I can't remember if mine did or not. I remember talking to the doctor about it, and I remember being scared of it lol, but I don't remember actually having it done. I think the conversation was if he was late then she would, but he came on time. If it was necessary or would have helped induce labor had I been late or in agony I wouldn't have had anything against the doctor doing it.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:36 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• No!
    Definitely not.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:43 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i had it done twice....whats the deal? People get pretty stupid about stuff if you ask me. It sent me into labor both times. It was great because I did not want to be pregnant any longer.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 12:46 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Not sure if I follow what this means. Is it when they break your water?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• With my daughter everything happened on it's own and nothing of the sort had to be done.
    With my son I was having contractions for over a month and they just were not changing my cervix but the pain got bad enough that there for the last week I had to have pain killers just to manage on the small scale of things. So when I went in and she decided I was being induced the next day it was left up to me. I decided if it would send me into labor earlier, like during the night before, then I was all for it. In the end it didn't and the next morning they had to break my water and start the pitosin but it was only a 4.5 hour labor so not to bad for me.
    It really wasn't that bad, just a lot of pressure and a bit painful but really not so bad. And at that point, yeah, I was up for anything that ended that pregnancy sooner rather than later!
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 12:55 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I did the first time, but I don't plan to in the future unless we're about to be induced.
    To anon, sweeping/stripping the membranes is when your midwife/doctor inserts a finger into your cervix, and swipes it around to separate the amniotic sac and the cervix. The hope is that this disruption will send you into labor. It has mixed success, and there are risks, plus, it's generally painful.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:03 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I won't..no way.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:08 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My Dr. did with my second son, and it was such horrible pain that I refused to let her do it with the third baby. Made me cry!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 1:11 AM on Nov. 22, 2010