Do you think I'm being paid fairly?

I do housekeeping for a family 3 afternoons/evenings a week for 4 hours each time. I grocery shop for the meals I will be cooking each week, clean their large home, feed their dogs, and cook dinner each night before I leave. I also take out all the garbages. The cleaning I do is for 4 bathrooms, 5 bedrooms, I vacuum, mop and dust all the rooms, clean the windows, scrub all the toilets, tubs/showers, counters, etc, clean the inside and outside of all the kitchen appliances, put dishes away, clean out the garage, and other duties as requested. I get paid $10 an hour to do this. I keep getting told by people that I'm being way underpaid. My df's mom has her own cleaning business and she said she would be charging nearly double that. My mom's boss also said she pays her cleaning lady $25 an hour, considering her cleaning lady isn't there working a full time amount of hours. I went on care.com and all the cleaning jobs posted on there say they will pay someone $15-25 an hour. What is your honest opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Technically if you set the price and you knew all the tasks ahead of time and agreed to it - then yes it is FAIR. Do I think you should be getting more? Yes. Maybe you can find a way to inform them your rates will be going up in January.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• If this is really what you do then I think you are way underpaid. That is a lot to do in the short amount of time you are there so I am assuming you are running wild trying to get everything accomplished. Don't under value yourself, no one else will do that for them for that amount of pay.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 12:57 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• To answer you, they asked how much I would charge and I said I wasn't exactly sure, because I had never done this before and they said "How about $10 an hour?" I did agree to it at first, but that was before I started the job. Now that I've been doing it for a little while, I've realized its a LOT of hard physical work for 4 hours straight. Now that I have more of an idea of the job, I don't think the pay is enough. I just want to know if other moms feel that the pay for that work is fair or not. If most people feel that its not fair pay, then I may go with my gut and ask for a raise.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I think you should get at least 15 an hour. That is a lot of work. Good luck. :)
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 1:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I think it sounds like quite a bit of work and you should talk to them about a raise.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 1:21 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I agree.......a raise should be in order.......that is ALOT to do for that amount. Maybe you can find other work in your area and ask for $15 -$20 an hour cause I am sure this family knows darn well it's low pay for all you do for the size house they have.

I can't believe their kids don't have chores! That's alot to do within 4 hours a day!

Good luck! Hope you get more pay cause YOU do deserve it.

Just tell them after careful consideration you need to adjust your rate to $15.00 a hour, as when you started you did not realize the exact duties that were required and feel it is fair compensation for the amount of work you do each day and need to adjust your rate and feel it is still a fair rate and much less than other's charge per hour doing less work.

Maybe that will help! Again.....good luck!

LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 1:27 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have someone that comes in once a week or so to help out. She does many of these same things. But she does not do them all each time. What doesn't get done, I will do or it will be there another time. I am not a perfectionist. She talks to her friends on her cell while she works. She talks with me and eats with our family and is paid for this time. I pick her up and take her home. She only comes when she has the time. I give her $10 an hour. I look at it that we are helping each other out.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:41 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• This also depends on your area. Times are rough and if you need the job, you should be happy you have it. Maybe you will receive a generous Christmas bonus. Perhaps you need to tell them that you need to work more hours to complete the job adequately.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:44 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Are you claiming this income on your taxes? If you aren't, then $10 an hour is probably fair (It's roughly the equivalent of $17 an hour). I pay $125 for two women to come in and clean - but I only do it a few times a year, and they are here most of the day. (If they were here every week it would only be $80 per visit).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:04 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I pay $80 for 4 hours, and she doesn't do as much as you do. I think you should have a talk with them, and tell them that the going rate in your area is $15-$25 an hour. Ask them how much they are willing to pay. I think they will be willing to pay more. If they don't want to pay more, say that you understand and then look for another job and give them notice.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2010