Puppy with new baby??

My daughter really wants a puppy but i am expecting in march...does anyone what the best option is?? New puppy and new baby?? STESSFUL?? or no

Kellixclark

Asked by Kellixclark at 12:59 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Pets

• I would wait because it will be like having two babies in the house. It is doable but puppies are a lot of work so it would not be fair to you or the puppy. I adopted my oldest dog when she and my daughter was 7 months old. It was still alot of work and at time frustrating because if one wasn't trying to put somethig in their mouth the other one was. But I know I could not have taken on a young puppy when my daughter was born that would have just put to much stress on me.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:49 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• VERY STRESSFUL! Had my daughter in June(right after I got a puppy in January) and it was more than I could have ever handled at all...even though my dog was litter trained and went when she needed (so I didn't need to take her out except for play time) it was just too stressful on me and my ex.
    Ellie4040

Answer by Ellie4040 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• MAJOR STRESS~~~especially if you plan on getting a puppy. If I were you I'd wait~~you're going to have enough on your plate :)
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 1:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would wait too. You are going to have your hands full with the baby and a puppy requires a lot of time and a lot of attention. Don't tell your daughter she is not getting a puppy because of the pregnancy though, it could make her new sibling a little less exciting. Instead, and just my two cents here...I would tell her that you are going to need all of her help with the new sister/brother and if she can show how responsible that she can be taking care of a newborn....well, that does make a pretty good case for down the road now doesn't it?
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yep, wait a bit. The last thing I need as a new mom is a puppy to house break! Too much work and stress all at one time. Once the baby is a bit older, or at least sleeping through the night, then I suggest the Golden Retriever...best dog with kids ever!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Are you kidding? A puppy is like a baby! House breaking it, playing with it, loving it etc etc etc. Get a nice older small rescue dog perhaps. If it's small she'll think it's a puppy and it will be a lot less work for you.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:59 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You could always rescue a dog. Maybe one a little older and already potty trained?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I would wait. A puppy is a lot of work! As much as a baby. Even though our dog is only 11 pounds. He tackles my 4 year old to the ground every time. After seeing my little one with the dog, I would wait until your youngest is at least 5.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You could just get twins.

A puppy is a baby that needs as much care as a human baby, but inconveniently for you, in a completely different way. And, when the puppy is no longer a baby, it will be a toddler forever: you are involved in their poop and constantly reinforce their training or they cease to be civilized.

If you have never had dogs before, now would be a particularly bad time to learn to do that, because it's not the same lifestyle as not having dogs is. You're committing to a 15-20year lifestyle change, not a few weeks until it's settled, then you can go back to your regular life.

I do not believe kids want anything in a puppy (or a kitten, rabbit, mouse, chinchilla...) except the 'cute' which is poor ownership criteria.

Be wary of breed recommendations: breeding for looks instead of temperament ruins dogs as pets. Lots of 'great with kids' breeds have become violent or just untrainable because of overbreeding.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Sounds like a lot to take on.
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 6:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2010