Puppy with new baby??

My daughter really wants a puppy but i am expecting in march...does anyone what the best option is?? New puppy and new baby?? STESSFUL?? or no

Asked by Kellixclark at 12:59 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Pets

• I would wait because it will be like having two babies in the house. It is doable but puppies are a lot of work so it would not be fair to you or the puppy. I adopted my oldest dog when she and my daughter was 7 months old. It was still alot of work and at time frustrating because if one wasn't trying to put somethig in their mouth the other one was. But I know I could not have taken on a young puppy when my daughter was born that would have just put to much stress on me.

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:49 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• VERY STRESSFUL! Had my daughter in June(right after I got a puppy in January) and it was more than I could have ever handled at all...even though my dog was litter trained and went when she needed (so I didn't need to take her out except for play time) it was just too stressful on me and my ex.

Answer by Ellie4040 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• MAJOR STRESS~~~especially if you plan on getting a puppy. If I were you I'd wait~~you're going to have enough on your plate :)

Answer by Carolannie at 1:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would wait too. You are going to have your hands full with the baby and a puppy requires a lot of time and a lot of attention. Don't tell your daughter she is not getting a puppy because of the pregnancy though, it could make her new sibling a little less exciting. Instead, and just my two cents here...I would tell her that you are going to need all of her help with the new sister/brother and if she can show how responsible that she can be taking care of a newborn....well, that does make a pretty good case for down the road now doesn't it?

Answer by spottedpony at 10:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yep, wait a bit. The last thing I need as a new mom is a puppy to house break! Too much work and stress all at one time. Once the baby is a bit older, or at least sleeping through the night, then I suggest the Golden dog with kids ever!

Answer by salexander at 11:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Are you kidding? A puppy is like a baby! House breaking it, playing with it, loving it etc etc etc. Get a nice older small rescue dog perhaps. If it's small she'll think it's a puppy and it will be a lot less work for you.

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:59 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You could always rescue a dog. Maybe one a little older and already potty trained?

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I would wait. A puppy is a lot of work! As much as a baby. Even though our dog is only 11 pounds. He tackles my 4 year old to the ground every time. After seeing my little one with the dog, I would wait until your youngest is at least 5.

Answer by mompam at 12:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You could just get twins.

A puppy is a baby that needs as much care as a human baby, but inconveniently for you, in a completely different way. And, when the puppy is no longer a baby, it will be a toddler forever: you are involved in their poop and constantly reinforce their training or they cease to be civilized.

If you have never had dogs before, now would be a particularly bad time to learn to do that, because it's not the same lifestyle as not having dogs is. You're committing to a 15-20year lifestyle change, not a few weeks until it's settled, then you can go back to your regular life.

I do not believe kids want anything in a puppy (or a kitten, rabbit, mouse, chinchilla...) except the 'cute' which is poor ownership criteria.

Be wary of breed recommendations: breeding for looks instead of temperament ruins dogs as pets. Lots of 'great with kids' breeds have become violent or just untrainable because of overbreeding.

Answer by LindaClement at 12:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Sounds like a lot to take on.

Answer by aliceinlove at 6:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2010