Do you buy presents for gf/bf?

Do you buy gifts at Christmas for your older teen or adult child's girlfriend/boyfriend? Only if they show up at gift exchange time? Do you spend the same as you did on your child, a little less, buy them just a tiny favor?

DazzlednSeattle

Asked by DazzlednSeattle at 1:15 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• When I was in a serious relationship, yes my parents bought my SO a gift. So yes, I would do the same if my daughter was in a serious relationship. Afterall, if her SO was included in other family activities, why wouldnt you include them at Xmas? Imagine how awkward your son or daughters SO would feel, if they were the only ones that didnt have a gift to open? I would ask my daughter if she knew of something her SO might like to have.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 8:58 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• If they come over for the holidays yes. If not then no.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 3:16 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have a little one, but I can say what happened with me when my hubby and I were dating. My in-laws got me a small gift when we were dating and a more expensive gift when we were engaged. My parents did the same for my husband. My brothers are both single and when they bring girls to Christmas, my mom always gets them something small (think bath and body works).
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:28 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yes, but I never know what to buy after 10 years. UGH
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:58 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My oldest is 18 and a senior in high school, he is dating someone but since it is not a serious relationship I don't feel the need to purchase her a gift. I am helping him out with a gift from him though. Once he is bringing someone home for the holidays then yes, I would make sure she got a gift from us.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 2:44 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• If they are there when presents are being exchanged then yes, you should get them something (they should get you something too) but NO, you certainly don't have to spend the same ammount as you do for your child. Spend what you would for a birthday present for the gf/bf like maybe $25-50
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Dating in hs - if it had been long term - a small gift card ($20 or under) but only if they are at the house.
    Dating in college - same as in HS...long term relationship - small GC only if they are at the house.
    Engaged - more money spent.
    And after married - a couples gift.
    We have a new DIL (Oldest son married in July) with a December birthday that we will be sending her a card with a small gift card to Wal-mart and their Christmas gift will be a couple gift. Last Christmas we gave her a small gift card to BooksAMillion and a book mark as they were engaged. The year before was a smaller gift card as they weren't engaged yet, but she did spend all Christmas holidays at our house because she was working and her parents were out of town (she slept on the sofa).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• well i would buy christmas gifts if i had a kid with a gf if i know the gf /bf for a while
    jessiewillwife

Answer by jessiewillwife at 4:06 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i as keep a few "gift" around for the holidays just for this reason ....think bath soaps, scarves, gloves, coffee set ect......then if you have a bf/gf of one of the kids over for the holidays you have something to give but didnt have to spend alot .....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I do, buy them a little something to let them know I care.

Answer by older at 8:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2010