can someone explain this to me?

Pope: Condom Use Can Be Justified to Halt AIDS - CBSNews URL: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/20/world/main7073896.shtml Pope Benedict XVI says in a new book that the use of condoms can be justified in some cases, such as for male prostitutes seeking to prevent the spread of HIV. The pontiff makes the comments in a book-length interview with a German journalist, "Light of the World: The Pope, the Church and the Signs of the Times." The Vatican newspaper ran excerpts of the book Saturday. Church teaching has long opposed condoms since they're a form of artificial contraception. The Vatican has been harshly criticized for its position given the AIDS crisis. Benedict said that for male prostitutes - for whom contraception isn't a central issue - condoms are not a moral solution. But he said they could be justified "in the intention of reducing the risk of infection." Benedict drew unprecedented criticism from European governments, international organizations and scientists in March 2009 when he told reporters while flying to Africa that condoms would not resolve the AIDS problem there but, on the contrary, increase it. The statement was condemned by France, Germany and the U.N. agency charged with fighting AIDS as irresponsible and dangerous. While opposition to condoms is a long-standing church position, the Vatican felt constrained to step in and say Benedict wanted to stress that a reliance on condoms distracted from the need for proper education in sexual conduct. The pope also says in the new book that if a pope is physically, psychologically or spiritually capable" of doing his job, then he has the "right, and under some circumstances, also an obligation to resign."

ok, so my question would have to be: it's now ok to be gay and a prostitute and use a condom if you are a gay prostitute but it's NOT ok to use birth control if you are trying not to get pregnant? i'm so confused and obviously not catholic! can the catholics out her explain this to me and if you agree with this or even that you shouldnt use birth control?

LET me make this clear, i am NOT poking fun at anyone who is catholic...i just feel this is flawed thinking, unless of course you can explain to my why this makes sense.

acounard

Asked by acounard at 1:25 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are a lot of things in the catholic religion that just simply don't make sense.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Your looking for common sense where there is none...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:34 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I think his point is that while the church still prohibits contraception, it understands the need to prevent the spread of AIDS. Its not about condoning sex or prostitution, etc, but about recognizing that AIDS is a problem that needs to be addressed. Where someone's health and even life may be on the line, its only right to make sure you take the proper precautions.

While I don't agree with their ban on contraception, I do understand how they are able to justify this while still maintaining that ban.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• so then, can women prostitutes use contraceptives to ward off AIDS? because it seems like he is clearly only saying men...that he hasnt really addressed the women who are getting AIDS and passing it on to their babies? wouldnt it be better to avoid pregnancy than give a baby AIDS? obviously he isnt condoning prostitution and i doubt that prostitutes who are catholic follow the rule not to use birth control, it just seems like a silly thing for him to say at all!

acounard

Comment by acounard (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• From what I understand the part about "male" prostitutes is a mistranslation, but I don't remember where it was I saw that said.... I would think he would be saying that anyone who has AIDS can and should use protection so as not to spread it.

And I think the reason he's saying anything is because the church has come under a lot of rebuke for speaking out against condom use in the prevention of AIDS in the past. I think he's trying to move the church forward so that at least in this manner they encourage responsibility. But I could be misunderstanding the situation...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I agree with bandgeek here.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 5:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• can women prostitutes use contraceptives to ward off AIDS?

A man prostitute having sex with a man does not need to prevent fertility since the act itself is sterile. 

A woman prostitute having sex with a man is not sterile. 

Any sex outside of marriage is immoral, regardless of whether or not one uses contraceptives to inhibit fertility or disease.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• t's now ok to be gay and a prostitute and use a condom if you are a gay prostitute

The pope never said it was okay to be gay or to be a prostitute.  He said condoms are not a moral solution, but can see how condoms can be justified to prevent disease.  Pursuing same-sex activity, and being a prositute, and using condoms are still all immoral.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I'm sorry...I only check my email every couple of days. If I would have checked it yesterday I would have seen a blog I subscribe to with a link to a Vatican City article discussing this so we can hear it straight from the horses mouth.  I'll quote it in part:

"[The pope] wanted to affirm with force that the problem of AIDS cannot be solved simply by distributing condoms, because much more needs to be done: prevention, education, help, counsel, being with people both to keep them from getting sick and in the case that they do get sick...It should thus be clear that condoms are not the solution to the problem. The Pope then broadens the perspective and insists on the fact that focusing only on condoms is equivalent to banalizing sexuality, which loses its meaning as...(cont...)

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 10:41 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• as an expression of love between persons and becomes a 'drug'." This is in keeping with the CBS article you quote: a reliance on condoms distracted from the need for proper education in sexual conduct

The last sentence I quoted from the Vatican article may sound strange to non-Catholics (or even Catholics who practice contraception) so I'll try to explain.  The marital act is an expression of deep, personal, intimate love between a husband and wife but since the sexual revolution there has become an increased obsession with - and distortion of - the sexual act as a pacifier - or drug - for lonliness.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 10:47 AM on Nov. 23, 2010