Question for the LDS/Mormons:

When I was a kid, I asked my Mormon friend this question. She didn't know the answer, so she went home and asked her dad. Her dad then told her that I was banned from ever going to her house again.

Here is the story and question:

I'd heard that when a man and woman get married/bonded in the Temple, they're each given a name by one another. When they die, the man calls the woman by this special name so they can spend eternity in the Celestial Kingdom.

My question was (and still is) this: What happens if the wife dies first?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 1:26 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• OP - I am glad that you found ways to maintain your friendship despite her fathers attempts to squash it.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'm Mormon. Nothing different happens to the woman. We believe that everyone goes to a waiting type of place kind of like Purgatory and we refer to it as the Spirit World. At some point after Jesus comes to the earth again and after we are all judged, then people can enter the Celestial Kingdom.

I don't know why your friend's dad banned you for asking a question, but the things in the temple, including the name thing, are very sacred to us and we shouldn't go into great detail when talking about them outside of the temple. Maybe he just didn't know how to answer without feeling like he was explaining too much or was afraid you would ask more questions. But it seems silly to ban you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I'm not LDS, but I was very close with a family of them when I was younger and asked a similar question at one point. Their feelings (and please note this could simply have been THAT families feelings) were that marriage was an eternal thing. If you are married, you are married for all of time, even after death. THEY believed that to marry a second time would put you in to a "polygamous" style of marriage, and this was the ONLY time they condoned the practice... However, they believed that ONLY men were permitted to remarry. Should the husband die, a woman was meant to mourn him until she also passed...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:38 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Anon. hit the nail on the head. And everyone stays in "Purgatory" until the second coming of Christ.
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I don't understand everything and I'm not certian what the answer to this is. I think the reason your friends dad said you weren't allowed around is that these thigns are done in the temple and some things are of such a sacred nature we don't talk to them outside the temple. I believe this is among those things.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 2:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Does the wife stay in a type of Purgatory until her husband dies and calls her name?

Sorry, I honestly never thought to ask about that... Now I'll have to...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:05 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Sabrina, I think you may have mis-read my question. I was asking if the woman dies first, what happens to her? They were given special names for one another to call out so they could spend eternity together in death. Does the wife stay in a type of Purgatory until her husband dies and calls her name?

I hope that clarifies it.

I do understand your answer and it is very correct from what I know (I lived in Utah for ten years and had several Mormon friends), it just wasn't the question I was asking. As always, though, I appreciate your input; there's a reason I follow your blog. =)
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 2:03 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Maybe this will help..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFZ1jVO3-OE (copy and paste to your browser)
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 9:43 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I understand and respect the sacredness of certain things in all religions and beliefs. I would have gladly accepted the answer of, "We're not allowed to share that [sacred] information with people who don't [have a temple recommend or] don't believe the same as we do." As we remained friends, we found out there were many "off" things about her father.

Thank you for your answers. It was a question that's been nagging me since 1993.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010