If I find myself so d*mn lazy ... why do I put so much effort into hiding food and munching it when (I think) nobody's watching?

Wouldn't it be much easier to just ... not do it? Being positively lazy, so to speak.
*deep breath* Coming to terms with a few things. Hopefully this time for good.
(Anybody else have this?)

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 1:38 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Health

• I have always thought I was some kind of freak to feel like I had to hide all my junk food from my husband thinking he wil look at me in disgust. I buy cookies, or cake and hide them too intil hes in bed. I feel better now I know I am not alone doing this habit. Besides the addiction, its also a symptom of depression. My doc told me some of these foods will send pleasure signals to my brain and it makes me feel better. Have any opf ya'll think about the snacks u will have that night only to realize u don't have any and actually feel bad or somewhat feel a little anxiety?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have no idea what you are talking about.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 1:41 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Sadly, I do. I really watch what I eat when others are around. When I'm alone(usually at night) i munch on everything I can get my hands on. or I even 'sneak' food out of the kitchen into the bedroom to eat while everyone else watches TV. I don't know why I do it. I am trying really hard to break free of this, but I am having trouble with it. I have finally come to terms that I am addicted to food. Maybe we would help each other with this.......
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 2:04 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I've done it, too. That's one of the things I really had to face in trying to lose weight. Just because no one SAW me eat the donut does NOT mean the calories don't count. Ya know?
    I've had to really look at my long term health, and consider whether a food is worth contributing to a heart attack in 10 years. I've been using clean eating and exercise, and so far I've lost almost 30 lbs. I do still sneak in "bad" foods, but I consider them "sometimes" foods, and try to keep them very occasional, like maybe 3 times a week. I don't think there needs to be a black and white approach to food. But you have to look at your family's health history and your own, and how you feel about yourself, and consider whether the foods you're eating are positively or negatively contributing to that. By eating a ton of junk food, you're ultimately going to feel worse about yourself, between the guilt and the weight it puts on. I hope this helps!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:55 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Hey Michigan and Alex'mom! Am I glad I'm not the only one. I know exactly what you mean. And the crazy part about it is you're just fooling yourself. Like people aren't goin to notice you're gaining weight because they don't see you eat it. lol
    I can't really say I felt anxiety, but if a situation occurs like you decribed ... that brain of mine starts working on an evil plan how to get out the house last minute to buy something. "Oh, honey. We're out of milk. I have a quick walk around and get some before the shop closes." -So the rule "If you don't have it in the house, you won't be able to eat it." does not do it for me at this point. Because I WILL go go out and get it. Why? I have no idea yet.
    Started to read Dr. Phil (again) and this morning I feel energized.
    BeachMom81

Comment by BeachMom81 (original poster) at 2:40 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Believe me I already feel guilty about what I am eating., The bad thing is I do not eat just junk food. I love cucumbers and ranch dressing, grape tomatoes, pasta salad with creamy italin dressing, small pepperoni with tomatos and cumcumbers, or salads. I do love my chocolate. But its just the time I am eating like 2am or so. I won't go to sleep intil approx 5 am. Its my only time I get my "me time" Husband is in bed, my 2 yr old is sleeping. Gives me a chance to read, listen to GAC and relax, or get on here and chat. Or I get bored and bake something. Being bipolar doesn't help any either because some of the meds make u gain weight even if u make a concentrated effort in changing eating habits. One of these meds made me gain 35 lbs in 4 months. Plus I was talking with my tdoc (therapist) and food addiction is just like any other addiction, and can u can end up dying just like any drug or aclohol addiction.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2010