At what age did your baby start to talk? What age should they start to talk?

jennifer6380

Asked by jennifer6380 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Both of my kids said their first words at 6 months, but were not fulling talking at that age.
    lanceandhailey

Answer by lanceandhailey at 7:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• What do you mean by talk?
    Doctors want to see a child saying 10 to 20 "word" by 18 months. These words don't have to sound right, they just have to mean the same thing, every time. A child can say "ba", "oon" or even "dee" for balloon. If they use the same sound every time for balloon, then that's a word.
    Sometime around 24 months, kids start putting words together... "more milk", "move daddy", "see doggy".
    Then come sentences. And better pronunciation.
    By 3 years old, most people should be able to have short conversations with your child with little "translating" help from you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• There is LARGE variation in how kids develop. And it gets larger in the toddler years. Perfectly normal kids may not say any words at 18 months. Super smart kids may not be putting words together at 24 months. Regular kids may not be saying sentences by 30 months. When in doubt, ask your doctor for an evaluation. He (or she) will have seen hundreds or thousands of kids pass through this age range. We fellow moms have only seen a couple do so. Our stories of "my kids did this" don't make your kidsslow or fast - just different from our own. When in doubt, ask your doctor.
    kaycee14

• The reason for me asking is because my son is 16 mos and the doctor said he's not where he should be for his age which is about 5 words. He has referred me to a speech therapist which of course has me freaked out wondering if my child has a speech delay.
    jennifer6380

Answer by jennifer6380 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• He's probably fine. My daughter had about 6 words at that age and now (like so many parents before me) I can't get her to be quiet. Your doctor may just be being cautious or he may see something he is worried about. It can't hurt to go but I wouldn't stress about it at this point.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My son could say about 20 words by 18 months but he barely talked. It was not until the summer after he turned two that he started talking. Now he says anything and everything =)
    rojareb84

Answer by rojareb84 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My third child didn't speak until she was over 2. She said mom dad and bubby. That was IT! Children who have siblings, don't have to talk, b/c the others talk for them! lol. Try some sign language and see what happens.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 11:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• The doctors tell me that my 22 month old is behind and even reccommeded speech therapy... however I totally disagree. Each child is different and I can't stand it when doctors over analyze everything. I would not recommed speech therapy... I told my doctor where to stick it. Now I could understand if your son was 21/2 to 3 and only speaking 5 or 6 words but at 16 months my child didn't say a word except Da da da. Now at 22 months old he will talk your head off some days and some days he won't say a word. I think it is very normal and varies child to child. I wouldn't stress over it.
    neverwrong8682

Answer by neverwrong8682 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• my son is 17 months old and now he is saying over 20 words. However, at 15 months the only things he could say were mama, dada, and ball. I took him to visit my parents for 3 weeks when he was 15 months and they began getting him to talk. (My mom claims I had a 2,000 word vocabulary at one year and my brother a 500 word vocabulary at one year!!!) So I insisted she get my son to talk in the 3 weeks we were visiting. She definately did. She would point at objects such as an apple or baby and repeatedly show him the object and say very clearly what it was. I doubt your son has a disorder, just you should work with him more.
    punkrockmom153

Answer by punkrockmom153 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• continued from above...

Buy some books that are very simple and have only one word and one picture per page telling what the picture is. Read them to him multiple times a day. Show him objects that are easy to pronounce and repeatedly say what they are. If you are unable to get him to say some words after that, I would take your dr's advice and see a speach therapist, not that I think he is unable to speak, but that maybe the methods you are using aren't working and they may have some fresh ideas.
    punkrockmom153

Answer by punkrockmom153 at 11:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2009