How to avoid leg cramps?

In my sixth month, I can't get rid of the nightly terror that has arisen in leg cramps. I used to have them as an adolescent but didn't experience them with such severity. The only thing that really helps is to try to work out the knots while they are cramping and use a somewhat expensive product from BeautiControl called Herbal serenity foot creme. That was a recommendation from one friend, but it doesn't help prevent new cramps though it does tremendously relieve the soreness that they produce. Any advice?

htroy2010

Asked by htroy2010 at 1:54 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You sound exactly like me. The suck ass thing is that I still get them very badly, three or four nights a week.
    Oh wait...are you getting the crampy twitchy legs or are you getting charley horses?
    If you are getting the twitchy legs, here are the things that help me -
    hot bath
    ibuprofen
    bar of soap under my top sheet at the foot of my bed (I know. Super weird. It totally works. Get like...Wal Mart Brand Irish Spring. The cheap stuff works better)
    Heating pad

If it's charley horses, you need to STAY HYDRATED. That's key, number one.
    Punch the hell out of your calf when you get one, it will make it go down.
    Exercise more, long, slow stretches of all your long muscles. Yoga is great for preventing charley horses.
    I don't know why I spell it with a y. I know it's wrong.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 2:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Eat a banana every day, low potassium increases leg cramps.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 2:07 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yes, I agree with sweet29mom.......eat bananas. They helped me. I ate one every day after waking up 3 days in a row to awful charlie horses in my calves.....never had another one during my pregnancy once I started eating them daily.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:04 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• In addition to these ideas, make sure you're getting plenty of water. Dehydration can contribute, too. Stretching and water really helped with mine.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:07 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Also, any kind of fruit, not just bananas, are high in potassium.
    musicpisces

• Ok this really helped me with leg cramp issue. Go to walmart or retail/ drug store to get couple of pairs of compression stocking (its for travelers and help with blood circulation) and wear it 24/7 especially while sleeping. I only had one cramp after wearing it for the pAst 3 month and I was walking alot that day and didn't drink enough water. You should also have icy hot roll on liquid gel by bedside in case it strikes. Also if cramp is coming have hubby (if any) to imediately push your toes torwards you and straight out your leg. Make sure you are hydra n maybe try anbanana a day. This works for me.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 4:49 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I had them TERRIBLY with my first. I've only had one with this one. After my nutritionist told me to drink lots of water and take magnesium supplements, I haven't had one since!
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 6:02 AM on Nov. 22, 2010