New to cafemom. We are a cyber schooling family and would like to know from other "homeschooling"/cyber schooling families how you get your children involved in social groups? Thanks :)

Angizzle3

Asked by Angizzle3 at 2:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• We do regular homeschooling, not cyberschooling, but our community has a homeschool PE organization (I've heard YMCA sometimes offers PE classes for HSers as well), a local HSing group we found on yahoo groups, we go to library functions, martial arts classes regularly, community classes through the city for various subjects sporadically, sometimes we just go to the park or to indoor play areas (the mall, fast food play areas, bounce houses, etc.) to play, things like AWANA (there's also cub scouts/boy scouts/girl scouts if you'd rather) etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• PS There are several HSing groups on here you can join for more tips and advice on HSing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Hi! I would suggest joining some homeschool groups on here. They are awesome and there are more cyber-schoolers there to talk to. Like Anon I don't cyber-school but its basically the same with socialization. I think church is the biggest social spot personally, followed by the library and the YMCA. Scouts is good. There are homeschool groups, and parks always work. Plus after 3 the neighborhood kids are free to play too.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 3:12 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Thanks for the suggestions with the groups. We do some of the other stuff, but we live in the country and are not in a neighborhood. Just looking for maybe some suggestions I may have never thought of. Thanks! :)
    Angizzle3

Comment by Angizzle3 (original poster) at 3:15 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• We home school. My ds participates in sports (outside of school), has a social skills group once a month, play dates with friends who also home school. Our local libraries have lots of activities for home schoolers. We don't get to go there often because my ds has therapy daily (autism) so we are quite busy throughout the week. I also agree, there are groups on here for great advice and support!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2010