Why is my 1.5 yr. old pooping every two to five minutes?

My youngest is in pain when he poops and is pooping so much his butt is raw. Stool is normal in color and texture. He is very squirmy and even telling my about his poop hurting him. He cries, strains, and won't stop pooping. Have not changed his diet at all. I am this close to taking him to the ER. No fever and otherwise happy and normal. Help?

freakingoutnow

Asked by freakingoutnow at 2:18 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The ER might be unnecessary, but definitely call the pediatrician right away which I hope you already have by now. This does not sound normal. If it is diarrhea then it sounds like a stomach bug, but if he is pooping normal poop this often then it probably has to do with his diet. I know milk or other dairy products or foods that have a lot of fiber in them will make you go once if not twice daily, but every few hours either has to be something def wrong or way too much of those kinds of foods! Have him checked out! Let me know. I hope he is ok. :)
    meg4763

Answer by meg4763 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would call the pediatrician before taking him to the ER. Even if it is after hours you should be able to talk to someone on call and they may be able to tell you something you can do to help.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 7:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2010