Should my son have the daddys last name or mine?

I know whos the father is but the dad is involved but not what he should be its hard to explain

Excepting_aboy

Asked by Excepting_aboy at 2:50 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Baby Names

• Use daddys last name as a middle name.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 8:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I think your kid should have the fathers last name.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:10 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• if you are not married? and dont know WHO the biological dad is, then give your child YOUR last name is my advice
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 2:57 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I think children should have their fathers last name. You say he's somewhat involved but not completely, that may and I hope it will, all change for the better. If his name isn't on the birth certificate then that might just give him more of a reason to deny the baby, and weather he likes it or not, this beautiful baby, is his resposibility as well as yours.
    LindsayLL

Answer by LindsayLL at 7:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• blank stare

BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 2:54 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I think it depends on if you want the father to be involved or not. I'm NOT saying that having the same last name is automatically going to make him be a good dad, or that only dad's who share a last name are good ones.

I'm also NOT trying to slam on you or on him. But, I do think that there's a lot of men running around out there having babies and not being involved, not playing a part, and sort of separating themselves from any sort of real responsibility towards the kids they helped create. I think that we, as women, need to start to encourage (and expect) the men in our lives (and in our society) to step up to the plate and be a parent to the kids they create. But, it's kind of hard to say, on the one hand, "be a dad" "play a part", but on the other hand, the kid doesn't have his name, he has no say, etc. Let the baby have his name, and hold him (the dad) responsible as far as being a parent.

good luck!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:41 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• If the father is not completely committed, the baby should have your last name. You will be there forever. He will live with you and be with you. You could possibly use the daddy's last name for a second middle name.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:00 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Father's last name. For that matter you should have the father's last name...call me old fashion I guess.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 10:35 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• If you don't think the dad's going to be involved, give him your last name. You don't want to give your baby the father's last name and then they grow up without him and ask why they don't have the same last name as you...that's just my opinion. My mom gave me hers because my dad is a deadbeat.
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 11:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• If I was in your situation, I would give my kid their father's name, despite how involved they are. It's still their kid. But it's your kid and you have to do what you feel is right.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010